Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed NPR rings from David Silver? Both have a small n stamped. One ring is darker than the other. Which one is the top ring?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lighter one is the top ring, it is a chrome ring.

The lower is ductile cast iron and is darker.
beer.jpg If we lived closer I'd owe you about 10 of these! Thanks again, Mark. I had them in the wrong grooves when I put them on the pistons. Disaster averted.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell you what, next time I find myself laying in my own vomit I will aportion blame to you. 🤢🤮:D

Might be a while I rarely drink.

Best of luck with it.
cup-of-tea-dementia-shutterstock-410074273.jpg ? ? ?

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would you know if you broke a ring putting the piston into the cylinder? Telltale sign without having to remove the piston?

·
Super Moderator
20,601 Posts
Remove the piston and inspect.

Do you have reason to suspect you have or are you just suffering the paranoia of installing a relatively fragile assembly you can no longer see?

Been there .... pulled the piston ..... put it straight back .....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's like we been mates before. Yup. a bit of paranoia. Right piston gave me trouble until I turned the soupcan ring compressor over so the tightening side was under, not over. It wouldn't go in, but I didn't force it. It stopped once the oil rings went in but went in once I turned the soupcan over. I heard a snap when the piston went in. I think. Left piston went in fine with the upside down soupcan, but the rod cap was a pain in the ass. so here I am. Should probably take the right piston out for a look, but worried I'll nick the new rod bearings. Not gonna sleep right til I know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
20,601 Posts
If I were you I'd remove that right piston for piece of mind. There's likely nothing wrong but it will gnaw at you if you don't eyeball the rings.

I gave up on thin walled ring compressors years ago and use a wave wall type.

You can actually tap it onto the cylinder deck with a hammer to know it is flush 360 degrees with no gaps. It can't try to slip down the cylinder on one side lifting the other side off the deck.

The piston slides through into the bore so smoothly there's usually no hint of the transition from tool to bore.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were you I'd remove that right piston for piece of mind. There's likely nothing wrong but it will gnaw at you if you don't eyeball the rings.

I gave up on thin walled ring compressors years ago and use a wave wall type.

You can actually tap it onto the cylinder deck with a hammer to know it is flush 360 degrees with no gaps. It can't try to slip down the cylinder on one side lifting the other side off the deck.

The piston slides through into the bore so smoothly there's usually no hint of the transition from tool to bore.
You were right. Paranoia. IF nothing else I learned which way the ring compressor should be! It took SECONDS for me to tap the piston back in after checking it.Peace of mind restored.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts