Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my plate/tags, temps, and insurance today. Excited to get to a parking lot and start learning to ride the road and shake the bike down! Thanks for all of your help and answering so many questions. I have a pretty good sized parking long less than an 1/8 of mile from the house too which will be convenient.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Congratulations and good luck with the practice. Start slow and get comfortable with things as you go along. You'll need to get your brain used to doing all the things at one time that needs to be done for a coordinated ride. Clutch, brake, throttle, leaning, stopping... Etc...

Good luck and ride within your limits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I got my plate/tags, temps, and insurance today. Excited to get to a parking lot and start learning to ride the road and shake the bike down! Thanks for all of your help and answering so many questions. I have a pretty good sized parking long less than an 1/8 of mile from the house too which will be convenient.

I see you are in Ohio. I would strongly, stronlgy recommend taking a motorcycle safety class--they are subsidized in Ohio, only cost $25 and are well worth the time and money. Classes fill fast, but investigate your site's no-show policy, you may be able to squeeze in earlier. Passing the class counts as passing the road test to get your license. They provide pretty much everything, including the bikes.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would recommend the class too. It's even good for experienced riders just to refresh the safety lessons.

I remember years ago when I was teaching myself to ride on a Honda CBR 600 F1 Hurricane. My first real epiphany was that you have to push the handle bars to the left if you want to turn right. You don't even notice that you do it on a bicycle because it's so light... but once you get a heavy motorcycle up to speed (like 45 plus) it really takes a bit more effort then you would think to get the bike to lean into the turn... thus the initial handle bar turn left to start a right turn.

Probably seems obvious to many, but I truly remember being shocked by that. But then, much of my experience to that point was with ATVs... and that CBR was probably more motorcycle than anyone should really have in trying to learn anyway.

Keep the Rubber side Down, and the Shinny side Up! Enjoy!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll hvae to pool all of these Ohioan's together for a ride sometime. Didn't get a chance to get out yesterday, but did have some quality time with my three-year old! Today looks like rain, but maybe it will clear up?

Thanks for the nudges towards the motorcycle safety class. I will look into that for sure, hope to even move onto the intermediate, and advanced.

My cousin dropped by yesterday on his 76 Liberty Edition Harley...sweet and a bit of a rare bike for sure. Both him and my uncle are really experienced riders, been riding their whole lives, and plan to mentor me on my beginning of street riding. I have a little dirt background, so I have the general idea. Road offers all new challenges in terms of variability with Jack Wagon drivers.

Will report on how the maiden voyage goes and how the bike performs!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after she warmed up and after about 30 minutes in the parking lot the Oil Pressure Light came on. Shut the bike down, let her sit for a couple minutes, started it back up and light would stay off, after about 5 to 10 the light would come back on again.

I have fresh oil & filter, levels looked good before and after riding. Again the bike was sitting since 88. Here ya go...any thoughts?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rick I I looked into the rear brake thing, not adjustable inside the drum only out. As for the oil problem, ld start with checking the pressure sending switch if all is good then clean the pump. And for the record rick is a cool guy and his bike is very very clean for how long its sat.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hey congrats! Good to see people doing the right thing (getting a license, getting training, taking care of their bike). My last course made me feel dumb, and I've been riding about 25 years! As was mentioned, ride within your limits, not those you are riding with. They can always wait at the next intersection for you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rick you mentioned fresh oil what weight did you use? the wrong vicosity will cause this problem. I would hook up amechanical gauge and see what it really has before anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
We'll hvae to pool all of these Ohioan's together for a ride sometime. Didn't get a chance to get out yesterday, but did have some quality time with my three-year old! Today looks like rain, but maybe it will clear up?

Thanks for the nudges towards the motorcycle safety class. I will look into that for sure, hope to even move onto the intermediate, and advanced.

My cousin dropped by yesterday on his 76 Liberty Edition Harley...sweet and a bit of a rare bike for sure. Both him and my uncle are really experienced riders, been riding their whole lives, and plan to mentor me on my beginning of street riding. I have a little dirt background, so I have the general idea. Road offers all new challenges in terms of variability with Jack Wagon drivers.

Will report on how the maiden voyage goes and how the bike performs!

Rick,

Polaris Vocational Center in Middleburg Heights offers the motorcycle safety class. That's where I took mine. Great instructors, taught us everything we needed to know. The last day of the class is the actual riding test.

When you successfully pass that you get a certification card. Take that card to the License Bureau and you will get your motorcycle endorsement. You will not have to take the riding test there because you already did it in the class. The classes fill up fast & you may have to wait, but it will be the best $25 you ever spent!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestion at Polaris. I have been practicing nearly every day in a lot close to my house. I have almost 1000 miles racked up so far over the last month so I think I will be OK. Its the slow stuff they are interested in...I have an appointment at the BMV on Snow on the 25th! I am pretty excited.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion at Polaris. I have been practicing nearly every day in a lot close to my house. I have almost 1000 miles racked up so far over the last month so I think I will be OK. Its the slow stuff they are interested in...I have an appointment at the BMV on Snow on the 25th! I am pretty excited.

I hope to have my tires by then. We'll have to schedule a "celebration ride" with all the other Ohio CX-ers!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I see you are in Ohio. I would strongly, stronlgy recommend taking a motorcycle safety class--they are subsidized in Ohio, only cost $25 and are well worth the time and money. Classes fill fast, but investigate your site's no-show policy, you may be able to squeeze in earlier. Passing the class counts as passing the road test to get your license. They provide pretty much everything, including the bikes.
Turkeys around here, well, probably at least half of us don't have the MSF or even the endorsement on our license. There are so few courses they're next to impossible to get into, they cost $225, they take an entire 2 day weekend and you have to bring your own bike that must be trailered or ridden to the course by someone that has an M license endorsement. That, and 40 years of riding experience, just leaves me taking my chances I'll get pulled over. Insurance discount is only $4, actually it's surprising they'll insure you without the endorsement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.