Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a torn apart 1980 cx500c that I want to rebuilt into a cafe brat. It was a running bike before I tore it apart. I want the bike completed before October 2014. This is my first bike I'm building, so I just have some VERY basic questions:

For those of you with experience in cx500c rebuilds or with the cx500c in general:

a) What is the most efficient way to start reassembling the bike?​

b) Are there any cx500c-unique difficulties I should anticipate down the road during the rebuilt?​

c) What will be the most time consuming part of this process?​

d) Is there any other special/important advice that i should keep in the back of my mind while I approach the rebuild?​

I know some of my questions will be frustrating to some, and I apologize for that. There's just only so much manuals and research can tell you...

Thank you for your help guys.

·
Registered
276 Posts
As someone that is fairly new to working on these unique and wonderful machines, here's what I can offer
Use this forum and search the many helpful threads
Use the wiki
Take your time, take pictures, for you and for us. We love seeing what you're up to
Don't force ANYTHING, replacement parts are more rare every day
Good luck, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
387 Posts
Didn't you DISassemble it?

I'd suggest taking things as seperate sub assemblies. Build to completion. Front, back, middle, wiring, engine. That way you'll have to touch nearly every nut and bolt and will be most likely to not have extra parts when you're done. The factory manual is in the wiki, great resource.

Oh, invest in some good quality metric tools and if something looks like it needs a specialized tool, it probably does.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Another piece of advice I'd give is to determine what is easiest to do again vs what you don't want to have to do again and what's only cosmetic vs what's of structural/safety importance. If you're going to skip something, skip the things that can be done later and the things that are only cosmetic in nature.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Decide what you want out of it when you are finished before you even begin to reassemble. Do you want a flat seat? Then the frame will need to be modified before you bolt a single thing to it. Do you want big dual disc front brakes and sharper handling? Then a fork swap is in order, so don't bother with your original stuff. But beyond major questions like that, do like farmer john suggested. Break the project down in to series of reasonable projects, each of which you can take on individually. Break them down in whatever way makes the most sense for you, take pictures and ask questions when you hit the wall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts