Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how some of you fellas in warmer climates start your GL500 engines.

When sitting exposed to the hot sun on a sweltering day, but otherwise "cold starting" do you use full choke??

How about when you stop for a quick break and come back to it after 15 minutes? The temp gauge reads all the way cold but certainly is not a "cold" start.

The reason I ask is that I have been having some flooding issues. It was far worse until I replaced the damaged/missing O-rings in the idle mixture screws, that fixed 95% of the cold starts, (however it did happen to me on a cold start recently as well). Now its sometimes hard starting again after it has been running and I stop for gas or a beverage.

Prior to O-ring replacement if it did not fire right away, I was screwed and need to pull the plugs, which were wet with gas, then hold them over a BIC lighter before replacing them. It would then fire right up and run fine, giving 50+ mpg on the highway. Then with new O-rings and with the idle mixture screws just set at the 2-1/2 turns out cold starting was fine, but excessive cranking required and smell of gasoline on the warm starts.

I recently fine tuned the idle mixture, turned in until engine dropped in rpm very noticeably then backed out about 3/4 turns, did same for each side. Am guessing the idle mixture screws are currently sitting about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 out. Seems to be okay here as engine will keep idling, even below 500 rpm, though I set it back to 1100 rpm. Cold and warm starts were okay today, but not really tested much so far with the fine tuned idle mixtures.

Any tips to reduce my chances of flooding it? Perhaps my technique for starting is not suitable for the CV carbs and operator error is partially to blame for a tendency to flood on warm starts

Normally I cold start with full choke and no throttle. Then warm start with no choke and about 1/8-1/4 throttle, depending how long it has had to cool off.

I am leaving in less than 3 days on a major trip and would be embarrassed to pull the plugs and bust out the BIC lighter after every fuel stop.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Using the choke will send more fuel to the engine. I never use the choke hot or cold. And you shouldn't need to use the choke after it has been running.

Also buy a few extra plugs. They're cheap and will be good to have around. I always have a spare set.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
the climate here is pretty warm,between 40 and 50c.

no choke,engine starts without cranking.cranking is no good,just makes the battery and starter go hot,that adds to the heat

try some iridium plugs.i have been more than happy with them.

check your floats are the correct height.

check your gas caps air vent is not blocked.

if you don't have one,fit an inline fuel filter,it will protect the carbs,any small amount of dirt in your tank could hold your fvn,s open a touch...not good.

make sure you have absolutely no air leaks around all 6 carb joints.

edit....enjoy your trip

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
First start of the day or after a few hours, I usually pull the choke, no throttle, and it fires right up. Then I'm at about half choke for a minute or two, no throttle but running about 2-3k rpm. Then no choke for another minute or two and I'm off. After it's warm, if I stop for 15 minutes or so, I don't use any choke at all. Incidentally, I usually only have to push the starter button for less than a second - less time than turning the key in a car.

On a chilly winter day (maybe 30-35 F) it might take more full choke time, but I had valve issues that I didn't know about this last winter so that might not be the case anymore.

Are you sure that you are getting the correct air from the airbox? OEM air filter? Although I suppose if that was the case it wouldn't run right even after it started and warmed up.

Fib

·
Registered
264 Posts
if the engine is cold (below 60 farenheight) i pull the choke out and start it. with choke about 1/2 way out it idles for about 30 seconds then i push choke in and it idles for a little while longer while i get my hellmate on. once the engine is warm and i stop for fuel or something. i don't choke it. push the button and within 1 revolution of the engine it is running perfectly at an idle. i don't ever give it fuel, I can just push the button from standing beside the bike and it fires right up and runs. all this since ultrasonically cleaning my carbs. before that it was a different story.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks, I will not touch the throttle when starting once its warmed up and will avoid the choke unless chilly out.

I do have Iridium plugs in it now and a set of new regular ones that I will take along as spares.

Plus I have gotten in touch with Larry so in a couple weeks I will have the opportunity to get it all tuned up perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.