Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So clearly its not done and there is much work to do. This is my first attempt at anything bike related. So far some of the things I have done: tore it down to frame painted it and many other parts, rebuilt carbs (out sourced), por-15 the tank, replaced all engine gaskets and o rings, cam chain, coil packs and various other odds and ends that have needed replacing.

To get it cranked all that is left is(I think): gas lines & filter, oil, spark plugs, battery, oh and money

·
Registered
258 Posts
That last item on your list seems to be the hardest part to souce!
Looking good!

·
Registered
62 Posts

So clearly its not done and there is much work to do. This is my first attempt at anything bike related. So far some of the things I have done: tore it down to frame painted it and many other parts, rebuilt carbs (out sourced), por-15 the tank, replaced all engine gaskets and o rings, cam chain, coil packs and various other odds and ends that have needed replacing.

To get it cranked all that is left is(I think): gas lines & filter, oil, spark plugs, battery, oh and money

You and I have similar builds. Mine is just a frame right now. I'm going to be posting my bike on here shortly. I bought the carb rebuild book from Larry Cargill and did it myself. I plan on powder coating my frame and parts soon and begin the rebuild. My question to you is how big a pain it was to replace the engine gaskets? And do you use an adhesive to apply them? And why did you feel it was necessary to replace the cam chain? Just wondering if I need to because I'd rather to do it when I have it apart anyway.

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
948 Posts
I love the meticulous nature of your rebuild. The personal attention to detail is something that is hard to buy.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
You and I have similar builds. Mine is just a frame right now. I'm going to be posting my bike on here shortly. I bought the carb rebuild book from Larry Cargill and did it myself. I plan on powder coating my frame and parts soon and begin the rebuild. My question to you is how big a pain it was to replace the engine gaskets? And do you use an adhesive to apply them? And why did you feel it was necessary to replace the cam chain? Just wondering if I need to because I'd rather to do it when I have it apart anyway.

Thanks

Scott

Scott

Have you spent some time reading the faq section? A lot of these questions and more are answered in there.

Replacing gaskets isn't that bad. Sense you already have your engine out of the frame, you've got some of the work done. It's been over 10 years sense I've replaced the gaskets/seals on my bike so I can't answer the adhesive question. I probably used a dab here and there.

On the cam chain, it's one of the few weakness the CX engine has. Sense on the bikes older than 83 they all had manual chain adjustment. This ment that the rider had to remember to adjust it. Well if ran enough miles without adjustment things start breaking...... In-short.....it's a good thing to do when you have the engine out and the rear cover off.

I would suggest starting your own thread.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott,

A lot of those questions can be answered in the FAQ. Powder coating is a good idea. I am going to have my tank powder coated. The only reason I didn't do all of it is I am trying to be as detailed as possible but at the same time I have bills and things way more important so I am tryig to keep it as cheap as possible. I am not sure I needed to replace all the gaskets but I did. The biggest pain for me was the head gaskets. I ended up having to have the heads machined to get the gasket off! I did use adhesive with the heads also. I used some adhesive on all the gastkets mostly to just get the gaskets to stick in place while i bolted stuff back together. cam chain...b/c it is pretty much required as preventative maint. I bought the book from larry...and it is a great book...and I quickly realized it wasn't going to happen for me. So I mailed off my carb. Carb works flawlessly. I did have them jetted b/c I am running a k&n airfilter and I took the h-box off the bike running straight into harley mufflers. I also rebuilt my brake caliper, ran a braided brake line, and new pads. I foolishly however didn't mess with my rear brake...and yeah...scarry stuff even in just little scoots in the neighborhood.

You will find this site filled with info and people very willing to help out. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks nice! I was half expecting to recognize the neighborhood in your video; I'm from the Hudson/Granite Falls area. Let me know if you want to go ride some time, I would like to see your bike in person also. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be awesome! a fellow cxer in the local area! I am getting it titled and liscensed next week so should be good to hook soon. (I am more in the cajah mountain area)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cool man, I just started tearing mine down, but we gotta go riding come spring. The bike looks really nice by the way. I like the black valve covers and coolant tubes, nice

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a quick down the road 5 mile ride in! looks like I did get it to go before the end of the summer...barely! Thanks all who helped!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts