Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fit NH M bars on a CX 500 Custom?

Is there a clearance issue with the tanks.

I'm building my CX for Ahrma racing and am trying to get into a more tucked in position.

I am 6'2" and not comfortable with clubmans or clip ons seems the controls will bump the tank.

I think the M bars would be a good fit if they allow enough movement without strking the tank.

Project thus far.

Massive elimination of wires that are not needed.

Removed headlight. indicators, speedo/ tach cluster.

Removal of centerstand.

Custom seat pan pushes me up towards front.

Fork rebuild with springs 1 1/2" spacer and 20 wt belray. Rear progressive shocks with 90/120 spring

I have upgraded front brake master cylinder, switched to stainless hose and dual pot caliper with Galfer green pads.

Stock engine, rebuilt carbs with 90/120 jets K&N pods, eliminated exhaust box and replaced with 1 1/2" crossover between 2 Cycle Shack baffled pipes. Much improved pickup.

Fresh BT 45's

I am currently modifying the gear select output shaft to move foot lever back 2".

Will modify brake foot lever with cutting back 1 1/2" and hot forge bending then re-welding on pedal.

Currently weiging in at 395#

Now I just need to lose 10 for myself. Shooting for 195!

Anybody racing a CX?

Hoping to be ready for early May track day at Blackhawk.

PeteM

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I race mine every night in my head!

Bike sounds pretty cool, post some pics, especially track shots.

As to your question, I can't help, sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
first of all your bike sounds cool im interested in pictures too.

are the bars you are referring to clipons?

im 6'1" and i have i think the shortest handle bars that will fit. there about 1/8" tank clearance on each side. i could measure them up if you want.

also one way to get around the bars striking your tank is putting some spacers(aka steel wheel weights) on your bar stop.

how do you like the shocks? and did the spacer help with the dive? i have the same brake and it seems i am almost bottomed out when i squeeze hardly at all. i also have an upgraded master cylinder and stainless hose with dual pot caliper, but stock rotor, im looking into an aftermarket one, is your rotor stock?

·
Registered
32 Posts
ok...i googled the style bars you are talking about. they look identical to the ones i have on my bike. I got mine for christmas 3 years ago so I'm not sure of their brand.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had a set in my hand at the swap meet, stainless steel for $40 I really really wanted to try them on my bike but lacked the funds at that moment. They seem to be forward and wide enough to work, more so if you add some 1" risers. You run these inverted yes?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam,

I had clubmans installed but my fore arm was hitting the tank.

Now running euro lowbars. But i want to get my weight forward more.

Your bars look the same as the M's. Just ordered from Steadfast.

Are you running them high are low in that picture?

They seemed close and indeed are. But if they dont hit, goood.

Looks like you have the same master cylinder as me...works great with the dual pot and braided cable!

Im having a disc drilled out it apparntly works better for hard riding as it is able to dissapate heat build up more quickly and has a greater initial grab.

In regards to my front end i got a spring made from Race Tech made for my weight 200# i think it is the .9 spring Cost $105.

I installed a spacer based on specs for getting the proper preload based on information from Race Tech.

It took several tries to get it to drop to the proper spot after I sat on bike.

It does ride much better than stock , cornering is greatly improved. Have bottomed out only once or twice in a few harsh pot holes.

I would say it is the best piece of equipment you can put into this bike.

PeteM

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You are a god if you need that much bar turn while racing!

I have the same bars as Rusty. I'm thinking you flip and reverse them and they might do the trick. Maybe you could place small dents in the tank, or move the tank back an inch or two? That has been done on here before.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have had the Norman Hyde "M" bars on for quite a while and I like them a lot. More pullback give me a better wrist position unlike the Superbike bars I used to run. I'm 5"11" not particularly tall but I don't want clipons for the street and longer rides. The "M" bars are used on the later model Triumph Thruxton. I've brought them up as an alternative on this board before but no one seemed to take notice. The M bars are meant to be installed with the "drop" being the normal position so when some comments say "inverted" that would be to raise them. I run the normal dropped position. I also cut 1/2" inch from the ends to narrow them a bit. If you're racing then remove your stock electrical controls and fit a racing throttle twist grip and the tank clearance should be good? This photo is not the best for displaying the M bars but it may help some?

Cheers, 50gary

Click to enlarge

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just sent away for a pair!

Looks good on your bike I think my custom tank might even be more narrow.

Nice looking rig there Gary!

Is that a CBR front end,?

Can you rember what make is your your throttle.

I think motion pro has one that will work.

PeteM

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I believe any 7/8" throttle will work with a two into one cable Make sure you get the 1/4 turn version. I have the original twist grip but with only a single pull cable. My current carburetors are Mikuni TM-38 flatslides with a linked "rack" My front end is 2007 GSX-R 750 the wheel is a Comstar 18" x 2.15" that I made up using various Honda parts. Long story but for your application an 18" would be a good idea IMO. I would also consider cross drilling your front rotor, you get better initial bite, lighter rotating mass, and out gassing (gasses release between pad and rotor). Good to see someone using the CX for a track bike. If you come over to Grattan I'll probably see you there or Road America. Grattan usually has an AHRMA date.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
im running them high. i like the riding position it gives me because its just enough to counter the wind on the freeway but comfortable if i have to keep stopping at red lights.

and yes i just recently put that master cylinder, braided line and caliper on and they made a world of difference in my brakes response and feedback. ill have to get me rotor drilled if the cb900f rotor i ordered doesn't work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts