Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
The coolant is new, and the whole system was flushed, and radiator rinsed before the new coolant was added.

I do understand that there are lots of variables - and thanx for reminding us again..., but these questions and discussions is not just a small thing, just like an engine who overheat is not a small thing. That is a massive thing, which I certainly never want.

I became concerned when I noticed my engin getting hotter on the freeway, which is not normally the case. Up to 110C..which imo is fairly hot..and then the engin seemed as if it wants to get even hotter than that... and that is why we are having this conversation, which is what one does on a form...lol.
I would have the same concern as you if my bike was heating up like that. If it is a lean issue, it could be the end of that motor very quickly. Check your plugs, they will have the answer. Take pictures when you do so you can post them if you are unsure how to read them or just want another opinion.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Thanx for the replies.
I see now that I never mentioned that my new gauge is not digital. For more details on my gauge and setup..check my build thread...link in my signature.

Radiator and its cover is still the standard setup. I do however have fork gators on.. as can be seen in the pic I posted.

As a starting point I will have to check the plugs asap thanx.

·
Registered
964 Posts
My new guage was installed exactly like the factory one. Same wire. At the therm housing I installed a new adaptor with the sender that fit into the adaptor.

So I checked the plugs today. I rode my bike a week ago..got off the freeway..rode about 2km..and parked it. Not sure of the checking is now compromised because of the above..since the suggestion was to ride at the problem speed and then check.

If anything..bothe plugs indicate running rich..and not lean. Here is the right plug..and then the left.. Comments welcome please.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Your bike will coast a good distance with the engine off and transmission in neutral. After a run on the freeway do the plug chop at speed then coast to a safe area to remove and check the plugs.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Noted thx. I will try to ride on the highway and then pull in at a fuel station to then check... Just not sure when...lol.

Is it normal however, for the plugs to look like they do (quite wet, and black), after a week of sitting in the garage? It seems one always need to check the plugs directly after riding the bike?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I will have to redo the experiment to say. I did notice the left plug smelt more of fuel than the right...
I really hope it is not oil....because then its real bad news...i Think....:(

·
Registered
964 Posts
Let me not assume and rather ask:
To adjust lean vs rich - When you turn the pilot screw in = more lean, and when you turn the pilot screw more out = more rich....correct?

The Manual does not really explain the above. It explains all the steps to adjust..but then state that you must adjust the pilot screw in or out to achieve best idle speed. So I would just like to be 100% please?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts