Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo got an 82 gl500I. Had been sitting for awhile and was running rough so being the goofball that i am I ordered a Clymer manual and went through the tune up section. Changed plugs and adjusted valves. Had a clacking noise when it was done. Seemed to run a bit stronger but still had a miss. Wondered had it jumped time so took the right side valve cover off, checked my work and the valves seem to be fine. .003 intake and .004 exhaust. turned the bike over with valve cover off and no noise. Used a high tech calibration tool, OK it was a drinking straw, and the piston IS at the top, and all valves closed, when the TR mark is centered in the inspection window so it didn't jump time. Checked the new plugs against the old and they are the same. So what the heck is making this noise? Now believe the miss is carborater issue/issues so thats for another day

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
It's not uncommon to miss one of the valve adjustments the first time. Go through and realign the cylinders to the top of the compression stroke again and see if they are still ok. It sounds like one of the valve adjustments may be off since the clacking sound showed up after you did the job.

There is always the possibility that the cam chain guide came apart when you loosened up the adjuster bolt. It's not uncommon for them to come apart during years of non use from drying out and getting brittle. You should be able to see it slightly if you look inside the rear inspection hole. A dental mirror helps with this too. If this happened, the adjuster drops down below the top of the guide/tensioner and it allows all the tension on the chain to go slack. Then you end up with the cam chain noise from it slapping against the case. I used to have a picture of what it looks like but I can't find it.

With the misfire, have you checked all the connections in the ignition system? One common culprit with misses is the plug caps. The resistors and internals end up with a lot of corrosion and need to be cleaned. We usually replace the resistor and aluminum rod with a brass rod during the clean up. The mod works very well to improve the ignition system.

Check out the procedure here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts