Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1980 Cx500 custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my name is kino I'm new to the forum I have a 1980 cx500c which I've been trying to get it up and running since I got it 6 months ago.. the engine doesn't fire on and when It does its only for less 5 seconds it's making this weird noise I don't know what it is it's coming from inside the engine does anyone have any idea what it is?? Any help will be appreciated I tried to upload the 7 second video however it did not let me ???the noise sounds like the stator motor it's spinning as if the flywheel its stripped or something...how can I upload a video???

· Super Moderator
24,099 Posts
Sorry, I only know how to upload from youtube.

I'm sure somebody here knows how to help you with this.

· Registered
1980 Cx500 custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes and everything came back good per online e stator test ....this was a good running engine also it barely started doing this I had it going for 2 mins before this video and when I hit the full throttle open it died off

· Registered
3,357 Posts
Sometimes starter clutch issues solve themselves....they tend to surface on long idle/stored bikes...
On the cx unfortunately its engine out to get to components..

· Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,741 Posts
That sound is definitely the starter clutch letting go. The starter clutch consists of a set of spring loaded rollers in the flywheel that grab a boss on a gear that the starter motor turns. When the starter gear is turning faster than the flywheel the rollers grab and it turns the engine and when the engine starts and the flywheel turns faster than the starter gear the rollers disengage.

Your starter clutch might be developing problems but it sounds more like the starter motor isn't turning fast enough to me. That might mean that the starter motor needs to be cleaned but I would check the condition of the battery first (it might just need to be charged).

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

· Registered
1980 Cx500 custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the positive feedback...when I got the bike 6 months ago the guy who sold It told.me.to do a.triple bypass which I have already I changed all the oil seal as well for the mechanical seal...I didnt.do the clutch thought...I also rebuild the carbs per Larry's book instructions....on this video my bike had a new battery and after trying numerous times the battery died out on me so i wS jump starting the bike with my car battery "the car was off """ and the bike kept doing the same noise...I'm gonna go ahead and order the spring and service the clutch starter...I did not know anything about the rollers a d spring in the flywheel....any suggestions where I can find it.??? Also do you know where I can buy an ignitech for a fair price ??? Again thank you for your time and patience

· Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,741 Posts
I can't help with the Ignitech but Honda used the same starter clutch parts in many models so you should be able to get them from any Honda dealer.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
For ignitech check out their home page in english....
They are based in cz...if you are thinking going that route the postage is reasonable, and they can also supply items such as cables for pc connection, coils etc (the later 2 can be sourced locally but sometimes there is compatability issues)...
Font Screenshot Rectangle Software Vehicle

· Registered
1980 Cx500 custom
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so it looks like I'll be taking down the engine again to service stater clutch.. is the stater clutch part of the triple bypass ? On a another note another member of the forum send me the info for the ignitech but didn't quite understood what he meant by " later 2? that been said I'll keep you guys posted to see if the noise goes away I'm gonna order the parts from honda tonight hopefully I get it fast and most importantly that the noise goes away as well....

· Registered
241 Posts
so it looks like I'll be taking down the engine again to service stater clutch.. is the stater clutch part of the triple bypass ? On a another note another member of the forum send me the info for the ignitech but didn't quite understood what he meant by " later 2? that been said I'll keep you guys posted to see if the noise goes away I'm gonna order the parts from honda tonight hopefully I get it fast and most importantly that the noise goes away as well....
When you replace the starter clutch parts (rollers, spring caps and springs) do not disassemble the screws and cover from the flywheel, you can remove and replace the parts without taking it apart. People had problems with the screws backing out afterwards causing massive damage.

· Super Moderator
24,099 Posts
The torx screws are single use only. Undo them and you should replace them.

As Danroy said they don't need to be undone to replace the caps, springs and rollers.

Reactions: Kino
1 - 20 of 41 Posts