Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have everything ready. Ive been able to turn the motor over but just cant seem to get a spark out of the plug wires. And Im not getting any power to the coil wires..... ???????? Has anyone had this issue on their bikes that they have solved? If so please help. Im stupified and just dont know what my next test should be. Both of the rectifier and cdi work. They did before the overhaul on the bike. Also I have tried using my 78 and 79 coils, rectifier's, and the cdi's. All are and were in good working order..... Please if you have any good advice which would be any, please drop me a line. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
What is the overhaul that you did?

You can try unplugging the kill switch,, see if that helps, it is a black and white wire that plugs into the CDI under the seat. If there was a short in the wire it would be like having the kill swith in the off position.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
where are you grounding the plugs for your test.

what recent work have you done.

did it run well before the work.

try in neutral,and have the clutch pulled in

oh,and a warm welcome from spain.

werent the rangers responsible for the freeing of US prisoners of war.all volunteered,to storm a camp in the Philippines.although greatly out numbered,they succeeded.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Yes the Rangers were the ones that did that as well as opening up Point Du Hoc in Normandy for the Invasion to Begin..... Best time of my life.

So I have had the motor completely rebuilt by my mechanic.... great motorcycle mechanic. The bike ran before the overhaul. Ive kept the original electricals, comes to stator, cdi, rectifier and some other parts but the bike is mostly rebuilt with new just about everything. when I got the bike the kill switch was actually cut and not functioning at all. Ive tested everything but am not getting any power to the coils. IS this the wiring harness? I have a 78 and 79 in parts so im gonna try some of their stuff but thus far no changes. It turns over but no crank. Im not an electrician and have little to no knowledge on the subject except for what I have read or taught myself. Its killing me being so close and not being able to start her. 3yrs its taking me to rebuild this bike. Trying to get her started before my 31st bday next month. Really need to shoot something right now to feel better.... let me know if anything else comes to mind and ill keep you updated. Thanks again for your support!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Do you have a black and white wire plugged into the CDI?

If you do, unplug it and then see if you have spark then.

Did your mechanic change any parts in the motor,,like the flywheel maybe?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
As always mentioned, pay particular attention to the grounds from the battery to the frame. You might even try adding a temporary ground wire directly but it's not uncommon - especially after sitting, for one or both of the two main grounds to start gettting a bad connection.

When I get my bike finished and back home I'm going to go through every electrical connection on it - clean them and apply silicone grease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.