Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been messing with my 79' cx500 now for 2 months. When I first got it , it ran great then I replaced battery... after doing so it wouldn't hold charge, I bought a rectifier put it in and then it would only start a few times then have to be jumped. I also replaced spark plugs.. then just yesterday i removed the carbs, cleaned them and put back.. still , cranks no fire up...now... I tested one spark plug and I have no spark... I'm so frustrated could it be coils?

·
Registered
468 Posts
dont throw parts at it yet - check all the connections - unplug and replug making sure they connect properly, check fro broken wires especially at the connectors, check the kill switch ...

its unlikely that somethin has suddenly failed - much more likely that you've disturbed / broken something.
Rayman

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Rays the expert.....but when you tested the "no spark side"...did you test with a new plug/swap plugs...or just ground the existing plug?

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
Rays the expert.....but when you tested the "no spark side"...did you test with a new plug/swap plugs...or just ground the existing plug?
And did you ground to the valve cover? The valve cover is not a good place to ground a spark plug as it is insulated by rubber.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
BTW...reclinedrelic posted just as I did....follow both suggestions....(not diminishing any contributions....)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont throw parts at it yet - check all the connections - unplug and replug making sure they connect properly, check fro broken wires especially at the connectors, check the kill switch ...

its unlikely that somethin has suddenly failed - much more likely that you've disturbed / broken something.
Rayman
Ok I'm going to go thru and check all wires. Here tho this new rectifier it has 2 green wires 2 red and 3 yellow the black is my ground right? So where do I ground it? ( this is my 1st bike bare with me lol)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im assuming that the battery was good enough to crank the bike over to see the no spark -
the valve covers are not grounded - the bolts holding them on are.

rectifier wont prevent spark - just wont charge battery / regulate the system once running if not connected
Can you post link to the rectifier - black could also be switched +12V - ground is greens so unlikely that black is also ground -

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
Do you have a link to the one you bought on Amazon? If the black wire is on the regulator it could be ground..Most wiring uses red for positive and black for ground. Honda uses green for ground and either red or black (switched power) for positive.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Do you have a link to the one you bought on Amazon? If the black wire is on the regulator it could be ground..Most wiring uses red for positive and black for ground. Honda uses green for ground and either red or black (switched power) for positive.
Could that be tested with a multimeter on continuity? Is the ground wire connected to the RR shell? Would the black {if a ground} connect to either of the green wires internally? Alternatively, the reds?. If it is a ground why is it in addition to two greens?

I still think the black is the sense wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,797 Posts
OK, that voltage regulator does not have a black wire. It seems to have red and green. Did you connect green from the bike to green on the regulator and red on the bike to red on the regulator? Some regulators do not use a sense wire so black on the bike harness would not be connected. Seal well to prevent the open terminal from shorting.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Swap the coils...as in L&R are the same just labelled differently... transfer them and see....u can confirm/eliminate one possibility....

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
37 Posts
I dont know that much about bikes charging system but it sounds like you have a no run and when running a no charge problem right? I say we work on 1 thing at a time.

First make sure the battery is fully charged.
A low battery will give fault reading / out comes.

Good luck
Dave ----

1 - 20 of 27 Posts