Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, first I want to thank all of you for keeping up this forum and sharing your useful information and experiences. I have found so much helpful information here and while it has taught me so much about the CX500 I have found myself stuck and still with no spark..
I recently got a 1979 CX500 Deluxe for so cheap I was convinced it would be worth throwing some money at. The bike is super clean, it had been well cared for, had great compression but no spark. The previous owner was a young college guy trying to build his dream cafe racer and really tore into the wiring. I spent the first 2 weeks removing all the aftermarket lighting, instrument cluster and getting the bikes electrical back to stock. One thing I was concerned about is that someone had installed but disconnected an electric cooling fan where the stock fan blade was. I thought I read somewhere that you could not hook an electric fan to a CDI bike. It looks like they went to a lot of trouble wiring it, but then sloppily cut the positive and negative wires to it. Anyway…
Once it was looking like a CX again, I started troubleshooting my spark problem.
1) Battery charged and measured over 12V during testing
2) First I unplugged the Black White Run / Stop switch. Tested and No Spark
3) Unplugged 3 yellow wires from stator. Tested and No Spark
4) Tested Ignition Coils for Continuity. I found 1 coil was bad and both spark plug caps were cracked and corroded.
I purchased 2 new coils.
I Purchased new resistor less plug caps from Wemoto
I purchased new resistor spark plugs
Tested and still no spark
5) I tested the Stator using the instructions given on here and Motofaction. The PIN readings were
1/5 90
2/5 80
3/5 200
4/5 100
6/5 80
7/5 200

9/5 340
9/8 70

I entered these numbers into the Motofaction worksheet page and it said all were correct except my 9/5 and 9/8 showed faulty coils but they would not be needed if I replaced my CDI with the Ignitech.
6) I tested the resistance on the 3 yellow wires in the plug (A,B and C) and found no resistance to each other.
7) I tested the continuity to ground with the 3 yellow wires in the plug and there was no continuity.
8) I purchased and installed the Ignitech DCCDIP2. Tested again and no spark.
9) I ran the PC software that came with the Ignitech and when I plugged in my new CDI it said in red

Pickup (CKPS) 1 — No Signal Polarity Error
Pickup (CKPS) 2 — Polarity Error

I am not familiar with pickup coils or stators. Do I need to replace my stator? My Pickup Coils? I really do not what to do next. I have scoured these forums and others and am stuck. If anyone had any information that might be helpful I would greatly appreciated.

Denny[

·
Registered
438 Posts
using the ignitech - both the low speed and high speed pickups are connected together - so CKPS 1 and 2 become the left and right (or right and left - im not sure which way)
pickup sets.
Id double check the wiring first -
you should be able to see rpm indication in the software when cranking if its getting the pulses coreectly.

Rayman

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hello denny,
I see your in Seattle. what area? I'm probably less then 45 min away if you need some help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
"6) I tested the resistance on the 3 yellow wires in the plug (A,B and C) and found no resistance to each other."

Was this test done on the stator side, or the rectifier side? If the stator side was tested, and you have no resistance (as in an open circuit), then you have an issue. The stators are wound in a three phase setup, and the the three phases are connected at one end. You should read at least 1ohm on resistance. This will depend partially on your meter. Don't forget to test the lead resistance and subtract that from your meter reading when testing the phase to phase resistance. As long as your battery is fully charged you should get spark with a bad alternator, but the bike will die in short order as it uses up the power available. But, if the stator is bad you should certainly replace it.

Back to the no spark issue. Have you verified that the ignition coils are properly grounded and receiving incoming voltage from the ignition module? I am rather ignorant when it comes to the ignitech ignitions, so I have nothing to add as far as the codes go, but I am somewhat knowledgeable of the general ignition circuit. I would check voltage at all the feeding points - the wires to the ignition coils, and the wires to the ignition module.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. I will check to see if I can get some RPM readings today while cranking. Would the polarity problem on the pickup be indicative of the pickups failing, or could someone have installed them incorrectly? Despite much googling, I am still unsure of what the pickup coils are and how they relate to the stator.
If these are bad Is this something I can purchase and replace or have replaced?

Thank you again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi SLiM,

I am in Bothell to be precise. We are close :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Infinite resistance is an open circuit.
That is true. However, as a man that works with a lot of electrical components, and deals with reading meters on a daily basis, many people, even those in the field, will read an open circuit as have no resistance. I brought it up due to the comment about have no resistance to ground from the yellow wires.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi SLiM,

I am in Bothell to be precise. We are close :)
Yes we are, and I know the area well, Kenmore/Bothell was my teenage stomping ground.
Along with my offer to help if needed, I have just about anything you might need tools/and or parts.
Engine Auto part Scrap Vehicle Car

·
Registered
239 Posts
How many engines do you find in the above picture? :)

Reactions: knightscape
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.