Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a 1980 CX500 with the ignitech cdi that I've been trying to get running.
I had spark but it randomly went out on both sides the other day.

I've done the multi-meter tests the for the stator and pulsers and they were all within the acceptable ranges (sheet with the recordings is in the garage, I can post a picture if someone wants to double check).

I then tested the output from the ignitech unit going to the coil wires, I think someone had posted that it should read around 150v. Mine was only showing an output of like 0.5v.

At this point I'm guessing that the ignitech unit has failed. Does anyone have any suggestions on further tests to do to confirm this? (I've also bypassed the kill switch with no success so I don't think that's the culprit)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,103 Posts
If the ignitech has power and ground, the pickups test within range and you retested with the killswitch disconnected I'd say you need to contact ignitech.

Yes, output should be around 150 volt DC.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My cheap multimeter seems not to register any appreciable voltage coming from fully functioning CDI box. I guess this is because the voltage spikes are too fast to register (??).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm still not completely sure that I tested the voltage coming off the CDI correctly.

Ignitech got back to me today. They said to:
1) Do the tests on the pickups (specifically the 1/5, 2/5, 4/5, 6/5 tests)
2) Put my ear up the the box when power is on (apparently there should be a very faint buzz to indicate that it's on)
3) Plug the unit into my computer and test it with the software (In the process of getting the proper adapter)

I'll post any new updates on this issue as they come

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
My cheap multimeter seems not to register any appreciable voltage coming from fully functioning CDI box. I guess this is because the voltage spikes are too fast to register (??).
I doubt its the pulse speed Dave
In electronic terms they're quite slow
It may be your cheap meter or your test method.
You need to disconnect the black/white wire from the CDI box and measure the voltage between the CDI box wire (not switch side wire ) and ground
with a digital meter set to read 200-250VDC while the engine is being cranked over on the starter.

In the absense of expensive equipment , I always found getting 150VDC or more a good indicator of the CDI Box function
assuming the stator was AOK of course

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.