Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with everybody I know who rides wanting a bigger and bigger bike?

A guy at work was telling me how he wants this 1800cc monster! Dear GOD that is a bigger engine than his Honda Civic has and he wants it on two wheels!?!?!

I do not get it. I am the only person I know who has a 250 and is happy (for the most part) with it. It is a great commuter. The CX will also be a great commuter (when I get it running) but it is still "only" a 500.

Can anyone help me understand this mentality?

I mean you can only go so fast legally and it is not like the 1800s cruise at 1500 rpm at 65 mph or anything crazy like that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Status, Ego, Pride, Lust...... and as you said, obsession. All false traits inherent in the humanity we all possess in one form or another. Some could say it's sad, wasted and perhaps futile, but it does exist.

The part that is hard to get, is we also try to convince others, or justify it in some way. That's when our real personalities come out.

Take Jeremy for example. Look at what he is accomplishing with his bike, with little else, and yet it is a superb life experience, for the soul and the heart. Even for us as we live it vicariously through him.

Next time those guys try to justify it, ask them to explain how it betters their life, and those around them. Then when they are done huffing and puffing, tell them about Jeremy. Better yet, show them his blog.

Or ask them if they have an extra set of earplugs, you don't need them on your bike.

·
Read Only
121 Posts
What is the deal with everybody I know who rides wanting a bigger and bigger bike?

A guy at work was telling me how he wants this 1800cc monster! Dear GOD that is a bigger engine than his Honda Civic has and he wants it on two wheels!?!?!

I do not get it. I am the only person I know who has a 250 and is happy (for the most part) with it. It is a great commuter. The CX will also be a great commuter (when I get it running) but it is still "only" a 500.

Can anyone help me understand this mentality?

I mean you can only go so fast legally and it is not like the 1800s cruise at 1500 rpm at 65 mph or anything crazy like that.

Thanks!

A friend bought a 2300cc Rocket III last year.
Nice bike but wow. Another friend rides a V-Rod with a rear tire wider than what's on my truck.
If you ever figure it out let me know...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Status, Ego, Pride, Lust...... and as you said, obsession. All false traits inherent in the humanity we all possess in one form or another. Some could say it's sad, wasted and perhaps futile, but it does exist.

The part that is hard to get, is we also try to convince others, or justify it in some way. That's when our real personalities come out.

Take Jeremy for example. Look at what he is accomplishing with his bike, with little else, and yet it is a superb life experience, for the soul and the heart. Even for us as we live it vicariously through him.

Next time those guys try to justify it, ask them to explain how it betters their life, and those around them. Then when they are done huffing and puffing, tell them about Jeremy. Better yet, show them his blog.

Or ask them if they have an extra set of earplugs, you don't need them on your bike.

Sorry who is Jeremy? I am not familiar with his blog. Can you send a link?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend bought a 2300cc Rocket III last year.
Nice bike but wow. Another friend rides a V-Rod with a rear tire wider than what's on my truck.
If you ever figure it out let me know...

I will bet your truck gets about the same MPG as that 2300 too!

I will clue everybody in when I figure it out.

I have a list of these mysteries to figure out so it may take a while.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Sorry who is Jeremy? I am not familiar with his blog. Can you send a link?

Thanks!

Gladly. Jeremy is our resident board member traveling from Vancouver BC to Argentina (so he hopes). You will find the thread on this board HERE, and in his signature links to others.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Good question. I don't get it either.

I think many are just mis-informed and really believe they need more cubic inches to get better performance. Which, in a Harley's case is true because of the bad engine design.

I remember meeting someone a few years ago in Yellowstone and he couldn't believe I was riding around the mountains on "just a 650". I just shook my head and said "whatever". I wanted to say, "hey let's ride a while and see if your big displacement Harley wannabe can keep up with my "just a 650" in the twisties".

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I get the displacement to a point but after that point it seems to be lost. Personally I think up to 1100cc is just fine. Then there's overkill. But if you have that much you should be using it. If you're riding 2up, towing a trailer or of extreme size.

I do want more but I don't want to go nuts. The cx does a great job up to a certain point where weather and crazy hills make life suck. But if there weren't any hills or tornados you would never need anything else.

Also to add to the overkill factor is horsepower. Our bikes aren't great but they aren't bad. But if you compare them to similar models with fuel injection and other computers they lack 1/2 the horsepower they should/could have.

I do like Waynes response too. I really need to get a good ride on a 650. For all I know it could be all the bike I ever need.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, it's all good IMHO. It also depends on what you want to do with the bike. While I enjoy the heck out of my 750cc Ural sidecar rig, AND my GL500I, neither would be my 'go-to' choice if I wanted to tour the USA. Something closer to a GL1100 or thereabouts would get the nod.

the Ural cruises best at 50-55mph and I find my GL sweet spot is about 10mph higher than that. Neither would be an ideal super-slab cruiser, but for now they are what I have so they are what I ride. The GL handles very well and can keep up with the big kids if called upon to do so. I have had it scorching along the interstate at 70+ now and then, but it is obviously not its happy place - lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
remember the commercial in the "robocop" movie....

"The SUX-6000,... Because Bigger, Is Better"

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not just in the US, it's the same thing here in Norway. People are "cubic crazy", and buy the biggest they can. Then the bike stands in the garage for some years, they sell it, and never ride motorcycles again.

Another, much more serious problem, is the total lack of recruitment to the motorcycle community. Young people just don't buy motorcycles anymore. Every year, the average age for active motorcyclists goes up by one year. The average age for bikers in Norway is now nearing 50. In 15-20 years time there will be an awful lot of motorcycles on the market, and no buyers...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Just from the 3 years experience I have with bikes I think I'd have to agree with Stitch.

I could see getting up to an 1100 or 1200 cc bike but after that point there would be no point....don't get the point of the mega engine either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Real good buddy of mine has a Valk with the 6 cylinder and an 883 sporster. The Valk he says is great for long distance but pure fun? The 883 wins. I'd love to have his Valk when he sells it but 10k? I don't love it that much.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I agree with some of what has been said but it is horses for courses.Much as I like the CX500/GL500 family if I were doing a lot of touring miles I'd most likely want a more modern lager machine.Less strain on the engine and of course newer metal.This is not to say that or bikes can't do it as been proven before,

"The Road to Moscow",

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/epicrides/122_0104_moscow/index.html

As for the Rocket III it's not that bad on fuel,

http://www.west-knights.com/rocket.htm

40+ mpg(UK gallon)

There is a trend over here in the UK for riders ditching a lot of the more powerful larger machines because of speed cameras and they are always complaining but my take on that is if you think public roads are for racing you are just riding to be a,"Donor".If they think they are that good get on a race day/track.

Some years ago I road out with a pal who had an 1100 Ninja.He wanted to zoom off so I said I'd meet him some 35 miles later at a known Bike Cafe/stop.I just road within the speed limits+ tax ;-) and arrived less than 15 mins behind him.He said,"Oh you weren't that far behind".I said,"I would have been there sooner but I stopped for a cigarette"

He had used nearly twice the fuel I had and always complained how he went though tyres and their cost as he told me when he throttles the bike he can get as low as 20 mpg UK gallon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned several Harley-Davidson's over the years and really liked them a lot but I no longer go on long rides. If you're going across USA or Russia or Africa or anyplace where you're racking up big mileage, those bikes are great. For those of you who have never ridden a big heavy bike, they are confidence inspiring on the highway because you don't get blown around as much as you do on a lighter bike when you pass or get passed by a big truck. You still get blown around but not as much.

The last Harley I owned was a 2001 Road King. What a bike. Outstanding comfort. Looked great and all the acceleration you could ask for at the twist of the throttle. Very little gear shifting was required. These days I no longer feel the need for break neck acceleration plus I like the quasi-vintage bikes of the 70's.

Now I'm a completely urban rider so I don't want all that weight to wrestle around parallel parking. Additionally I really like cycles from the 1970's. Yes, my CX500 is an '82 but it seems '70's to me. If I find a perfect condition '78 or '79, I'll gladly swap my '82 for it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As usual a lot of great responses!

I can see the touring point of view.

If I was planning on cruising through a few time zones a newer more comfortable bike would probably be a good idea.

I do not really much understand towing a trailer with a bike but hey to each their own.

I guess since I have never ridden a bike bigger than a 650 I probably have a limited point of view.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
As usual a lot of great responses!

I can see the touring point of view.

If I was planning on cruising through a few time zones a newer more comfortable bike would probably be a good idea.

I do not really much understand towing a trailer with a bike but hey to each their own.

I guess since I have never ridden a bike bigger than a 650 I probably have a limited point of view.

Thanks!

Yes but consider this Tony.If you were doing this journey on a modern big touring machine who would really care and where would be the real adventure be?

You are doing it on a 30 year old-ish motorcycle and will have memories and something to talk about for years.Ride safe

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.