Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1980 cx500c used to run OK but occasionally had intermittant trouble going over 60mph. I had a tune-up, including carbs cleaned. And it ran much better - for 70 miles. Now it never goes over 40 mph. Maybe the old problem, but much worse. No gas or tank problems, in fact it runs fine at low power.

I found a mechanic who has 5 parts cx500s, so I took my bike to him. He bought a Clymer manual, but my bike sits, as he says the manual does not have the electric specs. info. he needs, and cannot diagnosis the faulty part.

Hopefully. I only need a Honda shop manual, but maybe I need a mechanic. Please help.

P.S. I'm glad to be a new member; couldn't find where to set up my profile. Bill

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seems like the wrong RPM range, but it could be your CDI box. That thing causes all sorts of odd running issues and checking it could be as simple as hooking up and different one and going for a spin. I had a mid-range stumble that got much better with new coils, but did not go away. I had to get the Ignitech box before it fully left.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't know this, because I haven't ridden my bike much, nor had the failure, but I read a lot about the high speed windings failing on the stators on these bikes. Your description of the symptoms fits. Search for stator replacement threads on the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts