Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, thank you in advance.
In the past, I have been able to post many repair fixes that have worked for me. I now have an electrical issue that stumps me and I'm reaching out to the great minds in this forum for some guidance.
I have a 1979, stock, cx500, 8,300 original miles and never seen a single rain drop. I installed an ignitech at 4500mi to ward off any potential stator problems.
It has been running like new with zero problems. I went to start it 45 minutes after I parked it and as soon as I pushed the starter button, idiot lights and all power stopped. I immediately checked the battery voltage and got 3v. There is a slight spark at the battery terminal when I disconnected +or- wire and the battery voltage was at 12v when disconnected which I believe is a drain or short somewhere. Then, I put the battery charger on 14v. I retested with the wires on and off and got the same results. The idiot and headlights sporadically come on and as soon as I push the starter button, lights go out and no power. Any suggestions appreciated

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Number one suspect is a faulty battery. Have it load tested.
Is it possible that when you parked the key was put in the park position instead of the off position? That would keep the tail light on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion reclinedrelic. After I posted, I took the cables off the battery and jumped it to a good 12v car battery and it fired right up! I guess I'm not familiar with the new "high performance" batteries. Time for a new battery

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
When you had it running did you check the voltage at your battery? You would expect something in the order of 13 volts, more on revving the engine.
It could be that the charge coils in your stator have failed, allowing the battery to discharge. Try charging your battery overnight and see if it functions in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked, the battery is 5 years old and is subjected to hot weather here on south Florida.
I'll have the battery checked. I'm pretty sure it's fried. A cell or two might be dead.
When I had it running, I checked the voltage at 2000 rpm and got 13v. I'm sure it would be higher with a little more rpm.

·
Super Moderator
13,710 Posts
5 or 6 years is average battery life. You might stretch that another year or 2 if you are religious about topping up the cells with water when they get low (this is a normal result of hydrogen given off during charging and oxygen given off when current is draen from the battery) and keeping it charged when not in use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bob,, I was a master tech for Chevy many years ago. This is a totally sealed battery. If it wasn't, I would normally check fluid and add distilled water when needed. I'm going away for the next 5 months and will get it load tested and I'm sure a new battery when I return.
Thank you both for your input. I'll post my results in a few months

Reactions: Sidecar Bob
1 - 8 of 8 Posts