Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a nice ride today... beautiful weather... bike running great. When I got home I noticed it was time for an oil and filter change and I wanted to change the antifreeze as well. So I did.

The oil change was routine. I slid a Wix filter in there, swapped out both o-rings, and put a shine on the filter cover. Then I added 2.6 quarts of O'Reilley's 10W40 and checked the dipstick. So far, so good.

Then I went to work on the cooling system, which I've never worked on before. I removed the shroud from the front of the radiator, removed the radiator cap and the overflow container's cap and unscrewed the plug on the bottom of the radiator. Some nondescript colored antifreeze gushed out.

I had bought my replacement antifreeze from the Harley shop in Jacksonville, which may have been my first mistake. When I poured it in the radiator, I noted it was orange instead of the expected green. Well, hell... at least it was silicate free and premixed. I went ahead and used it. As I'm buttoning up the bike I note that the antifreeze level in the overflow was full of the green stuff. Hmmm. I didn't add anything through that opening at all. I guess there's more antifreeze in the engine I didn't get. Oh, well.

So it was a slack job? You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Then I get on it and warm it up. Oil pressure comes up almost instantly and there are no leaks. I'm running it in neutral at about 4000 RPM for 3 minutes or so when all of the sudden the engine bogs down and then quits. It takes full rich to get a restart. It does it several times before I just decided to walk away for a while. There were no mechanical sounds of agony so I'm sure the lubrication system is all right. It acted like it was starved for fuel.

I know that often ignition problems disguise themselves as fuel problems but the fuel makes more sense to me. After all, I had to remove the fuel tank in order to drain the radiator. The three lines that go to my reserve valve seem OK. The reserve valve itself is in the proper "on" position. I figure that maybe some crap got dislodged from the bottom of the tank. But I don't know.

I have a gift for converting rolling stock into expensive paperweights. Ideas, gentlemen?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Are you sure you put the lines back on the petcock correctly?

The small hose from the right carb hooks to the foremost nipple on the petcock.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I'm putting my money on an incorrectly hooked up petcock. When you did the work there should have been gas in the carbs enough to make it run for a while and then die.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both of you guys batted the ball right out of the park. You nailed it right on the head; I had those two smaller lines reversed at the petcock. Switching them back to the proper way has my baby purring again. I warmed it up enough to get the temp gauge about half way up and not a single hiccup.

I knew it had to be something I did. There was too much coincidence that I have a problem develop IMMEDIATELY after servicing. But I needed to walk away for a while to consider things before I really mucked things up.

Thanks to the both of you for showing me the path towards righteousness.

BTW: do you think I can coast on the antifreeze I installed or do I need to get in there and really do it right... draining the cylinders, pulling hoses loose, etc. I'd really rather not. And is Harley antifreeze gonna poison my Honda?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I'd say you're ok with the anitifreeze. You might want to siphon out the reserver/overflow bottle of the old ****. Fill partially with water and siphon out again to get as much out as you can. Then add in some of the new stuff to the normal fill line and you should be set. The minor amount of the old left after that should be insignificant. Glad you got the rest sorted. Happy trails!

·
Registered
835 Posts
............I had bought my replacement antifreeze from the Harley shop in Jacksonville, which may have been my first mistake. When I poured it in the radiator, I noted it was orange instead of the expected green. .............

Funny you mention the colour. When mine was new the 'factory' radiator fluid was pink. I have never found the same - even from the Honda shop.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
You're probably fine with the harley coolant. Personally I use the Prestone 50/50 and it's silica free and says it can be mixed with any color just fine.

Draining the radiator gets a lot of the coolant out of the systems since it's only 2 quarts. If you have doubts drive it around for a week and then come back and do a drain and refil. That should make it 95% new.

Now you know about the petcock and when you see the next guy and there will be a next guy you can tell him. I don't even understand why they would have a breather especially the same size as the vacuum line.

Some people that have done this enough have color coded theirs.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I don't even understand why they would have a breather especially the same size as the vacuum line.

AFAIK, they need the breather to maintain atmospheric pressure on one side of the diaphragm,,they put the hose on it so if there is a puncture or crack in the diaphragm and it leaks, it will not leak onto the hot engine or pipes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're probably fine with the harley coolant. Personally I use the Prestone 50/50 and it's silica free and says it can be mixed with any color just fine.

Now you know about the petcock and when you see the next guy and there will be a next guy you can tell him. I don't even understand why they would have a breather especially the same size as the vacuum line.

Some people that have done this enough have color coded theirs.

I actually was in Jacksonville on other business and went looking for the Honda dealer using my GPS. It led me to a car dealer who'd obviously taken over the premises since the database was made. Bummer. I don't know my way around Jacksonville very well so I then went with the motorcycle dealer I actually could find. They're damned proud of their antifreeze, BTW, judging from what I had to pay for it.

As for color coding the lines, that isn't a bad idea. I color coded the petcock itself when I first got the bike so I could see at a glance the position of the valve.

Once again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This forum never disappoints.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
If your temp gauge stays around the nominal mark under most conditions then don't worry.There's no problem using pre-mixed coolant,just the cost.It's nice to do a coolant system flush if you haven't done one,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Coolant.htm

As good maintenance but not needed if as above the bike is performing well

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sarnia, The only "pink" anti-freeze I've ever seen, is something called "RV-antifeeze", which goes into motorhome waterlines and keeps them from bursting when stored during the winter months.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I was going to say vacuum lines, had that happen a couple times lol, I just got rid of the breather box line, can't tell a difference and it eliminates confusion... I don't like confusion

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I was going to say vacuum lines, had that happen a couple times lol, I just got rid of the breather box line, can't tell a difference and it eliminates confusion... I don't like confusion

Which breather?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The vacuum line to the breather box I believe is where it went, I left the vacuum line from the carbs to the petcock that opens the seal, but removed the other line seeing as though it closes as long as there isn't suction on the vacuum going to the carbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.