Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post here. I just got a 1979 Honda CX500 Custom the other week to fix up, it has been sitting for awhile. I changed the oil and filter, coolant, sparkplugs, fuel filter, battery, and drained the fuel tank. When I tried to start the bike I didn't get any fuel to the carbs, I put in a clear glass fuel filter and I can see no gas in it. The petcock is allowing gas past it fine. Does anyone have any ideas, other than pulling the carbs and cleaning them. I planned on doing this before I put it on the road, but just wanted to get it started to check everyhting else out before i got into the carbs.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Welcome to the group.  I'm a little confused, there's gas flowing out of the tank but not through your filter?  A picture would help clear things up, also what type of carbs do you have?  I would pull the fuel line off the tank and turn it on to make sure fuel flows out, both on regular and reserve settings.  After that connect the fuel line and turn it on and let it sit a minute, turn off and then try to drain the carb bowls to see if fuel's getting to your carbs.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
If the carb fuel needles are plugged the extra air probably won't let it go through. Try opening up the drains below each carb and see if anything comes out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I have to work today, but will try your adeas tommorow and let you know the results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got time to work on the bike today. Opened the drains on both carbs and got gas, so I figured they were clogged inside. Pulled the carbs off, tore them apart, cleaned everything,and reinstalled them. The bike fired up on the second or third crank and sounded pretty good. The carbs were pretty dirty, one of the bowl gaskets was dry rooted and both the air shot offs were missing the o-rings, so I plan to get rebuild kits and pulled them back off for another cleaning and a rebuild. So, who has the best deal on carb kits?

Next question; the front brake master cylinder needs a lot of work, the oil cup is rotted and it also needs a rebuild kit (it wouldn't make pressure). Is there a trick to getting the oil cup off, I pried and pulled pretty hard and couldn't get it off. It seems to only be held on by an o-ring once you take the cap off.

The 1/4" coolant line from the thermostat housing to the top of the engine case is rotted also, can I use 1/4" vacuum hose for this?

Had any experience buying parts from hondapartsonline.com?

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
For the carb rebuild kits, you could go full on expensive and get it from Randakks, or try GeorgeFix on ebay or TASmotorsports. For the M/C you could look at those same sources or just buy a newer or brand new M/C unit from ebay, might end up being the same price as a rebuild kit.

I can't answer your last 2 questions, but somebody else will chime in soon enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help Kingston, I ordered a kit from Randakk today.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I have to admit I was confused to the fuel flow part in the first post. It seems the 79 does not have the vacuum type petcock from what I see on the fische, so it only has one outlet. If that is connected to the fuel line then to the filter then to the carbs, the fuel you saw from the carbs may have been old gas? Dunno.

The carb clean and rebuild is surely needed. Consider getting an ultrasonic cleaner and Larry's carb book to guide you in that arena.

I just don't get the initial flow issue at all. Flow through the petcock but nothing in the filter? Maybe the line between was funked up?

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct about the lack of the vacuum line. Cleaning the carbs fixed the problem. Starts fine now!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.