Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after months of working on my '80 CX500C I went to fire it up today with no luck. So far, I've converted to an Ignitech (got good spark) and rebuilt the carbs. Bike was sitting for about 10 years. I believe I did everything right on the carbs, dut the spark plugs remain dry. Is there a way I can check to see if fuel is being atomized/squirted from the carbs, and also do the carbs only deliver fuel while the emgine is cranking ? At a loss, thamks, Dan

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Well after months of working on my '80 CX500C I went to fire it up today with no luck. So far, I've converted to an Ignitech (got good spark) and rebuilt the carbs. Bike was sitting for about 10 years. I believe I did everything right on the carbs, dut the spark plugs remain dry. Is there a way I can check to see if fuel is being atomized/squirted from the carbs, and also do the carbs only deliver fuel while the emgine is cranking ? At a loss, thamks, Dan
dan,you will only get fuel delivery when the engine is cranking.the vacumn produced draws up the fuel.

use easy start,brake cleaner or the like,spray into the air filter while cranking][you need a good battery] and see if you can get an ignition[burn]

if that fires,
follow the problem back to your carbs,

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Another good way to get it started is to put a rag down over the air cleaner inlet and choke it off as you crack up the bike. The lack of air will help pull fuel up through the secondary main jet and get it started. Once it's going the choke should take over and keep it going. It sounds like your not getting any fuel through the low jets. Did you clean them out? If so, how? Spraying them won't do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dan,you will only get fuel delivery when the engine is cranking.the vacumn produced draws up the fuel.

use easy start,brake cleaner or the like,spray into the air filter while cranking][you need a good battery] and see if you can get an ignition[burn]

if that fires,
follow the problem back to your carbs,

Thanks Bandit. I wont get to "play" with it again 'til the weekend. Thanks for the tip. Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another good way to get it started is to put a rag down over the air cleaner inlet and choke it off as you crack up the bike. The lack of air will help pull fuel up through the secondary main jet and get it started. Once it's going the choke should take over and keep it going. It sounds like your not getting any fuel through the low jets. Did you clean them out? If so, how? Spraying them won't do it.

Also, a good idea.....that's one I had forgotten abou; we used to do it as teenagers with 2 bbl carbs all the time. will post a follow-up early next week. It's frustrating having come this far and still, the candle fails to light. I still have some minor issues to deal with, but right now I need to get it running to keep the incentive going. Thanks. Dan

·
Registered
784 Posts
Have you tested the fuel petcock?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Have you verified there is fuel in the bowls by opening the drain screws?

·
Registered
784 Posts
LRCXed - I put your Carb book on my Christmas list.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
It really sounds like the low jets are totally plugged. It takes a .018 drill bit to clean out the center hole of the low jet.

I have a drill bit soldiered to the end of a paper clip. That would work to open the jet, but usually the jet should be pulled out so all the holes can be cleaned out properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really sounds like the low jets are totally plugged. It takes a .018 drill bit to clean out the center hole of the low jet.

I have a drill bit soldiered to the end of a paper clip. That would work to open the jet, but usually the jet should be pulled out so all the holes can be cleaned out properly.

Thanks for the pictorial, Grand. I'll bet you are right on what the problem is. I'll let you know what I find once I take the carbs back to the "operating room" (a.k.a.; kitchen table).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts