Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inhereited a bike from my old roomate 1980 CX500, the story is that someone hooked a car battery up to the wiring harness somewhere and fried the electrical (melted wiring harness is proof of something). I'd like to see what else might be wrong before I really dive in - and was planning to change the oil, clean the carb and then try to bump start it - there is no key so i'll need a way around that. Any advice on what to check first would be appreciated

·
Registered
368 Posts
Main fuse is most certainly toast. Go ahead and replace that witha 30amp blade type fuse and look everything over real good. Wrap any melted wires so they don't touch and short out again. Dave has a method to hot wire it, check the Quick Reference on the top of the General Discussion page for some help.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting your location and bike information on the first post.

Your bike has the CDI ignition. This ignition is powered completely by the stator - a battery is not needed to run.

To start your bike without a key, unplug the black/white wire from the bullet connector going to the CDI unit. The purpose of this wire is to kill the ignition when the ignition switch is off or the kill switch is engaged. The ignition is killed when this wire is grounded.

With this wire disconnected, you can bump start the bike. When you are ready to stop it from running, simply ground this CDI wire to the frame.

If you would like to have the electric starter do the heavy work, hook up a battery and apply 12 Volts to the yellow/red wire on the starter solenoid to energize it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts