Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the GL500. I want to keep my fender etc... but has anyone done any different rear turn signals on those??

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
It's no problem running a different turn signal. Either use one of the license plate adapters or think about turn signal extenders. Didn't you mention that your man knows his way around a welder. You could easily make some of and use the peg style like the gl had or drill a hole like most other do.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to involve him in as little of this as possible..... reason being is I've heard enough about the bike in the last 16 hours or so.....

I'm thisclose to taking the fairing off and just finding a windshield... IDK.... probably not, but it would make things easier

Right now I'm thinking rear turn signals

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
But there is a welder that can be used right? I'm pretty sure you know how to use a glue gun. Pretty similar.

Or you could use a bracket like this on your license plate.

Works kind of like this.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
You still got that king-queen hump seat... gun safe ?

You can do anything you want ( if you have enough metal and the right tools ) I have a Kaw 900 Tail section that's going on the Deuce. I may have to make a plate to cover the original bolt holes, drill new ones and plug er in. ,Maybe some splices or an adaptor plug. It's a round tail light about half the size of the red shoebox Honda light. I am going to replace the signals with round bullets made for truck signal apps. Much more "Cool" factor without being invisible at night...Same amount of wires to deal with, I'll need to use a battery to figure out what lights what to marry them together.<yeah.... I'll take pics and post when I see yours...

You know, with a topic title like that, you have left yourself vulnerable to some serious comic shenanigans... nice "Rear End" src="http://cx500forum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif" alt="
/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />">" class="bbc_emoticon"> I think you planned it that way! ENJOY!!!</div></div>

Edit: I tried to post this and got an error mess... all html visible, "No Such Topic"
hmmmm I deleted most of the html in an edit

I guess if it's just turn signals... google "1157 truck marker lights".... I'll see if I can find some links later.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nola,

I know the thread title made it a little more entertaining- and I meant to do that... lol... I can goof too once in a while so it's no big deal. IDK.

Here's the deal,

I went to my parents yesterday. They live on a country property- with a gravel driveway. The only pavement is the sidewalk going up TO the house. I parked it on the center stand and went inside. A few minutes later my brother comes up and tells me my bike fell over. He's a jokester, so I said "Yeah, right... good one"- he says he's serious and I remember looking and then picking up the bike. I don't remember getting out there, but they all said they've never seen me fly out the door so fast.... anyway the tank has a huge dent in it, the fairing is cracked through on the bottom (it fell on its right side, BTW), and the turn signal cover is busted (along with the chrome 'lip' that holds it snugly in place) parts can be a PITA to get so I started thinking newer...

Numb is kinda good to use right now. I can't say I'm super upset, but I'm completely not 'OK' with it.....

and I haven't heard the end of it....

I told my parents from now on I'm parking on the sidewalk, even if they have to walk around it. They're actually OK with it... surprisingly....

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW..... a new fender isn't OUT of the question...... I just want to keep it pretty easy to deal with. I had enough of it last year that I just want to ride this year

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've got a rear fender, taillight, turn signal brackets and turn signals off a 81 GL500 Interstate. I will sell the whole package for $60 plus shipping. Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bummer Dakota sorry to hear about the mishap i know ya put many hrs last yr into it hope all works out for ya.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got to thinking. I sealed the tank last year. How likely is it that by the tank denting the sealer broke/ came apart inside the tank, and now I have to deal with that in my gas?

Just curious as I've been thinking of just driving it as is until the end of the season....

BlueWing, Thanks but no- my rear plastic is still good, I was just thinking if I replace I might as well modify that too..... but the diamond plating is spec'd out to that plastic

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
There may be a chance that the paint broke but like all paint it probably didn't do much and even if some did flat it wouldn't be more than a dime.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Were it me Dakota, I would ride it as is. There is plenty of winter time to be picky, but for now why not make it good enough.

If there is anywhere on the outside of the tank where the paint chipped, spray some cheap spray paint (black of course) over it to protect it. Make sure you get paint that will come off easy with some cheap graffiti remover at the end of the season when you want to do a proper fix.

Is the fairing still sturdy?

Do you only need a lens for the signal? If so I have a pair of signals around somewhere that are basically junk, but have good lenses. Yours free if you want.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Or a couple drops of super glue in the chipped area. Or a paint pen. Paint pens are fun!

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Ok Dakota I have to say it. Take a picture of your ass so we can see it. Or maybe it's your frontend we need to see a picture of.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ok Dakota I have to say it. Take a picture of your ass so we can see it. Or maybe it's your frontend we need to see a picture of.

I think I have one around here somewhere... ah yes, here it is.

Sorry Dakota... the devil made me do it!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry Dakota... the devil made me do it!

It's OK- between this and the wrenchmonkeeys thread- I've put "find/ take pics of hot guys on motorcycles" on my list of things to do this summer..... and NO RB, we don't need another pic of you on your bike!! LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts