Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
...but did honda make this in 79?
There were a handful of Standards made in '79, before Honda pulled them from the US market mid-year, and replaced them with the Custom and Deluxe. I've only seen two in the wild.

It's also possible that, if it sat in dealer inventory long enough, it's a '78 that's titled as a '79. Legally, mine's a '79 Deluxe.

R

·
Registered
915 Posts
Nice looking bike for the money, IMHO.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There were a handful of Standards made in '79, before Honda pulled them from the US market mid-year, and replaced them with the Custom and Deluxe. I've only seen two in the wild.

It's also possible that, if it sat in dealer inventory long enough, it's a '78 that's titled as a '79. Legally, mine's a '79 Deluxe.

R

It's not a '78, since the master cylinder is rectangular. The '78s had the round one.

Nice bike by the way, apart from the mufflers it looks all original.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
It's not a '78, since the master cylinder is rectangular. The '78s had the round one.
Good call. I didn't look that closely.

R

·
Registered
195 Posts

Title should be based on the year of manufacture -- which is stamped on the VIN plate. Year of purchase should be irrelevant... at least in states where I've lived.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
Title should be based on the year of manufacture -- which is stamped on the VIN plate. Year of purchase should be irrelevant... at least in states where I've lived.
"Should be" is often quite different from what actually happens.

When I wondered aloud on the old forum about my '78 being titled as a '79, I was told that it's a rather common occurrence. Maybe it's different now, with records being filed digitally rather than on paper. But I suspect it still happens, if the dealer submits incorrect information.

R

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I bought a 1979 Standard new, so yes they were made. I was dumb enough to sell it in the early 90's with 35K miles, & Krauser bags for $800. Should have kept it.

I should find a photo and post it.

·
Registered
816 Posts

"Should be" is often quite different from what actually happens.

When I wondered aloud on the old forum about my '78 being titled as a '79, I was told that it's a rather common occurrence. Maybe it's different now, with records being filed digitally rather than on paper. But I suspect it still happens, if the dealer submits incorrect information.

R

Same here. My VIN plate says it was made in 1978. Title says 1979. I have to remember this when I go to get it inspected for the license tag. It has bitten me once when I "forgot" to put the titled year down on some paperwork.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
New cars and bikes are almost always made months before the year changes. Almost everyone is already selling the next years models in August of each year.

Building plates almost never reflect the the "Model year" that is sold, but rather than when it is built.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.