Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a few questions about a bike I'm thinking about buying It is a 1983 650 c. it has 12k miles on it runs good but looks rough and the side covers are missing. Owner wants $700 for it. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. I have a 1400 suzki intruder so it would be a second bike. My first Idea was just leave it as is and ride it but seeing some of your gentelmans work has my jucies flowing, but first is is the price right? and what to expect mecanically to go wrong. and do side covers come up on ebay or on this site much? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Find out if you can locate the side covers. Price seems a bit high though.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
cx650 custom side panels are near impossible to find for a good price. I would custom make some if I had a 650.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hello, please let us know where you are located. It will help us answer the question about what the bike is worth. I don't think $700 is much to ask for a bike that "runs good" even though the condition doesn't sound ideal. Especially such a cool bike (IMO) as the CX650C.

The final value will also depend upon on how much more you will need to buy for the bike (like tires?). As mentioned, because the bike is kind of rare and unique, those side covers are very hard to find. Because of this, if you want the bike, mention that fact and offer him less.

Mechanically, check to see if the charging system is working. Start it up and put a voltage meter across the battery terminals. It should read @ 14v @ 3000 RPM. If the stator is bad, it is an engine out deal and takes a lot of man hours.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Kelly's Blue Book says that a CX 650 c is worth about 1320. Of course that's plus or minus depending on condition., and how badly you want one.

I think that $700 is a pretty good price if the bike is good except for the side covers. Side covers are scarce, but you'll eventually find some if you wait a while and look hard enough.

As always, negotiate for the best price. If the seller is asking 700 he'll probably take 500 or less.

Think o0f it this way. Even at 700 you could part out the bike and make a bit of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies. They will help alot. We did not negtiate on price yet My starting point will be $500 and will see were it goes? I live bout 1hr. south of chicago. Has new tires brakes and fork seals. My metal skills are limited but I was thinking the same thing "Trying to make my own." I will for sure take a volt meter with me. I also think something is jacked up with the rear plastic or fender. I looked at it in the fall cannot quiet remember, but I really can't say what I will do with it at this time besides ride the snot out of it for a daily rider, restore it and add back rest and rack. Or make it to my taste in custom like my intruder and put to much $ into it but its a hobby and it's great to have sites like this to get opinions and info. But most of all see Ideas of others. Many thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.