Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a new member directly from Mascouche, QC and a new owner of a brand new CX500C 1979 with 26900km... I just bough it and its in great condition. The guys before me took really care of it, painted it red with Shadow stickers and there's nothing to do on it beside maybe a reconstruction of the fork (there's some oil on one of the leg and it dive a lot when compressed) and probably check the alignment of the rear wheel because it appears to me that its misaligned with the rear fender. Also, at about 3000rpm, there's a stop in the throttle respond before it continue to accelerate.

The situation is simple:
- First motorcycle ever...got my drivers licence without saying anything to my girlfriend...
- Wanted to have an old bike to be able to put an antique plate on it (less expensive here in Quebec)
- Like old stuff but more into retro/cafe/brat style....yeah yeah, I know, why would I want to scrap a a beauty like this...
- Dont know nothing about carbs/mechanical stuff relating to motorcycle...
- I'm more like an self-educated guy about my things
- I will have some spare time this winter
- I have a budget around 1000$...without telling it to my girlfriend
- I want to do some modifications like change the seat, change all the lights, studying the pods vs. air box thing, modifie the exhaust, a paint job on the gas tank and the wheels, the fork....I don't know, anything great that will come to my mind.

So guys, I don't where to start...stripping it first, emptying the gas tank, verify the alignment of the rear wheel, the carbs? I don't know. Any advice will be great, thanks.

Sorry for my english, I'm francophone but still think that english is more than a second langage here.

P1150235.jpg P1150303.jpg

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The previous owners did treat her very well indeed. If I were you a would keep her just the way she is now. I am mad about the pair of huge clear riding lights in relation to the headlight.:)

PS perhaps installing safer duel brakes up front would add some value ? Start with , and carry on doing routine maintenance and systematically repair all the 'mistakes' that you can lay your eyes upon.

Reactions: dudley11804

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
It's a beauty as is.
Ride it for a while first and then decide what if any mods you might make.
Download the FSM from the link in the WIKI below.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm with Bob and OCR on this. Doesn't APPEAR to need much and the cosmetics look good, except the Shadow stickers. Just my opinion. Ride it, m8. See if you're happy with it the way it is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The previous owners did treat her very well indeed. If I were you a would keep her just the way she is now. I am mad about the pair of huge clear riding lights in relation to the headlight.:)

PS perhaps installing safer duel brakes up front would add some value ? Start with , and carry on doing routine maintenance and systematically repair all the 'mistakes' that you can lay your eyes upon.
Haha...yeah those lights are huge...Never thought of dual brake lines...any suggestions, new parts or swap?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a beauty as is.
Ride it for a while first and then decide what if any mods you might make.
Download the FSM from the link in the WIKI below.
Thanks...I'll sure ride it a lot. The Wifi link seems pretty interesting, I'll have on eye on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those Shadow stickers seem to be the biggest problem here...I'll peel them off. Anyone wants them to start a fire?

I still need opinion about the rev problem, the biggest problem in my opinion.

·
Registered
940 Posts
So, it lags at 3000 RPM, but when you continue to open up the throttle, it takes off again and exceeds 3000 RPM? Any problems at 5000-5500 RPM?

So far it sounds like a carb issue to me? Anyone else who can weigh in on some trouble shooting?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it gets to 5000 - 5500 RPM before it takes off it could be a bad 5/9 on the stator.

If lower RPM likely carbs.
Right at 3000 rpm, it slows briefly before taking off....so the carbs....a clean-up, a rebuilt?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Yep, idle jet is likely clogged so you will need to poke a fine wire through it to clear it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts