Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Arizona!

I've been watching/reading this forum for a while now, and decided to join the banter. As I'm sure is the case with others here, the CX500 was my first road bike. I bought a CX500 Deluxe in July of 1979, for $2,195. (I still have the sales order from the dealer). Now fast forward 30+ years, and I'd love to put a CX500 back in my garage. I have considered a project bike, and doing a full restoration, and while I have the mechanical ability, I'm thinking I'd rather just find one that has been restored already.

I've been watching craigslist, ebay, cycletrader, forums and googling.... but have yet to find either a '79 or '80 CX500 Deluxe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hey Scott,a warm welcome from spain.bienbenidos

you have been lurking,well done.

what part of AZ are you in.we have a few great members from there

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum MR Breeze, and thank you for adding all your info too.

You are not the first to remember the greatness of these bikes and wanting another one years later. There are lots of options out there to be found at different levels of readiness. Some road worthy and others needing lots of TLC.

If you have been browsing around the forums for a while then you may have seen one of the bikes I have restored in the Garage section. HERE If you read through it you'll find out it's been fully restored including a new engine. The bike is sitting ready to paint next in line. I'm finishing up a GL500I right now, but should be getting to the CX in a couple weeks. So the color option at this point would be up to the buyer if they wanted a certain color. But the plans are a two tone candy red and gold leaf strips.

If your interested in it email me. But it may be more than you are looking to spend on one right now. But when this bike is done, NOTHING will be needed. Turn key and go.

Again, welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here.

Larry

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum MR Breeze, and thank you for adding all your info too.

You are not the first to remember the greatness of these bikes and wanting another one years later. There are lots of options out there to be found at different levels of readiness. Some road worthy and others needing lots of TLC.

If you have been browsing around the forums for a while then you may have seen one of the bikes I have restored in the Garage section. HERE If you read through it you'll find out it's been fully restored including a new engine. The bike is sitting ready to paint next in line. I'm finishing up a GL500I right now, but should be getting to the CX in a couple weeks. So the color option at this point would be up to the buyer if they wanted a certain color. But the plans are a two tone candy red and gold leaf strips.

If your interested in it email me. But it may be more than you are looking to spend on one right now. But when this bike is done, NOTHING will be needed. Turn key and go.

Again, welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy your stay here.

Larry

Welcome in! If you've been browsing- you'll know that the quality of Larry's work is A+... if distance/ money was not an option I'd be all over that bike.. lol- After having mine, I'd love to get a few more GLs

Again- have fun, ask questions, and shiny side up..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I had no doubt that you guys here would understand the appeal of a 30 year old bike. After 3 decades and a couple hundred thousand miles of riding, there is something about going back to where it all started.

I've got a few pics of my original bike that I'll try and post - she was the Candy Presto Red with the gold pinstripes and the black reversed com-star wheels....

After riding "naked" for a while, I put a Windjammer fairing and bags so I could take long trips with my father who had a Gold Wing. But for nostalgia reasons, I'd be looking for as close to the original stock bike as possible.

I understand that finding a bike fully restored is not going to be cheap, but that's ok.

Thanks for the help in my quest to re-live my youth and your warm welcome!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey Scott,a warm welcome from spain.bienbenidos

you have been lurking,well done.

what part of AZ are you in.we have a few great members from there

I originally hail from Minnesota (the Twin Cities) I moved to Scottsdale about 3 years ago. As I tell people, that after 40 some odd years, I finally realized I was "free to leave". lol

Riding 12 months of the year is FABULOUS !!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I originally hail from Minnesota (the Twin Cities) I moved to Scottsdale about 3 years ago. As I tell people, that after 40 some odd years, I finally realized I was "free to leave". lol

Riding 12 months of the year is FABULOUS !!!
i know what you mean Scott,the summer in august is my only problem,

iv been to tempe,not to far from you#

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,087 Posts
Neighbor in central Pa has [or had?] an '80 deluxe and I think the same colors. It has a windjammer and shoei bags. Needs a stator and likely a water seal. Not sure about other parts. Price is right, but shipping may not be right unless you know of someone going your way.

PM me if interested or post here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know what you mean Scott,the summer in august is my only problem,

iv been to tempe,not to far from you#

Ya, the summers can be a bit brutal, but then you just get up early, before the sun is too intense, and head an hour or so north into the high country where it's in the 70's and 80's and the roads are twisty!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.