Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I have a 1979 CX500C and I'm looking for some help. I apologize if these questions have been answered before but I haven't had the greatest luck navigating the forums. So I bought some low profile cafe racer type bars and when I reinstalled the throttle assembly, the throttle sticks back. Bars are 7/8 like the stock ones, so I'm pretty sure it's because the throttle cable is now too long for the lower bars and isn't retracting properly. Do I need to buy 2 new cables? If so, what length? Is it maybe just a routing issue and I need to change the way they are routed? Also, I bought some new mufflers that were 1.75 or 1.5 inch compatible and neither fit. They were meant to go over the connecteion where as the stock mufflers stick into the main exhaust and get clamped on. What size mufflers do I need to buy without making crazy modifications? 1&5/8 that slip inside like the stock ones? Thanks so much in advance for your knowledge and information. This is my first ever bike and real project and I'm already getting frustrated!

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Throttle sticking could be a cable routing issue. Have you downloaded a copy of the factory service manual from the Wiki? It has a diagram of proper cable routing.
Do you still have the H-box installed? Assuming the H-box is still there, have a look and make sure that you have removed the seal. That may be keeping your muffler from sliding in. They are 14 in this picture Honda Motorcycle Parts 1979 CX500 A MUFFLER Diagram

1 - 3 of 3 Posts