Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Finally bought my first CX500, been after one since they first came out, but well things got in the way you know..

I am quite comfortable with all thing mechanical, but with these machines i must admit I am a total newb.

Right first things first checked all fluids, bike hadnt been run for over a year, tried to start the bike, no dice, it just groaned on the the starter and seemed to flood the right hand cylinder. I had already bought larry's carb book, and though ok here we go, good spark, so lets give the carbs a good going over, I followed Larry's instructions to the letter, and with the help of an ultrasonic cleaner, thought i had everything right and ready to go.

Bought a carb service kit with the needles and gaskets etc. rebuilt the carbs and refitted, checked all fluids and hit the starter button, -- fired second turn and sounded great, thought i was on a roll, until i noticed fuel running out of the right hand carb overflow. Removed the carbs again and dropped off the bowls (checked the overflow pipes and no splits), -- found some gunk in the needle that probably came from the new hose i fitted -- ohh well.

Now then, next problem, the 2 new oring gasket seals for the fuel bowls now will not fit !! they seem a size too big. This is rather disconcerting as they were not cheap !! and they are brand new, anyone else had this problem, do i have to shell out another few quid for another pair ? lots of questions for a first post I know but im having fun here

Anyway I think I put all bike details on my profile, if not - CX500cb 1982 loc. Hull England,

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yeah, I have seen O ring gaskets that seemed too long also. They did eventually fit correctly, but it took a little time forcing them into the keepers in the groove. I just used some Hondabond adhesive in the groove to help hold them in place until they settled in.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
 Welcome to the group, sounds like you've got things off to a good start.  What's the cb model?  For keeping the o-ring in place, you could also maybe try a dab of heavy grease to keep it still, as long as you are careful not to get any inside the carb. 

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.