Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much a about bikes, should be simple question.

SO, you know the hose that comes from the bottom of the carb that runs to the back of the frame behind the kick stand, that has been folded and zip-tied? what is it and what is its purpose? Reason I ask, I noticed a gas leak at the back of the bike in front of the rear tire. So I started it and gas started squirting out. It was the hose, it was weathered and worn. Im sure I can just cut away the bad and refold and tie. I didnt understand why gas was squirting out, I thought it was a vent hose( but why would vent hose be folded and tied!!)Just wanting to make sure thats my only problem. Looks like an easy fix!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hooray, I actually get to help someone with my experience! I had fuel flowing from that hose today, myself. It turns out that is an overflow hose from the carburetor. There is a small tank with a float and valve in it, very similar to the float and valve in your toilet tank. If the float or valve get stuck, the tank, or correctly called the float bowl, will overfill. Rather than having that raw fuel run into the engine, the overflow hose dumps the fuel relatively harmlessly on the ground.

Sometimes, as in my case, a simple tap on the side of the float tank with a plastic or rubber mallet will serve to free up the float or the valve and stop the overflow. If the carburetor is dirty or a piece of dirt is stuck in the valve seat, this may require removing the carburetor and cleaning/servicing it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Careful tapping with a rubber mallet. I use the handle end of a screwdriver. Just a few light raps. If that doesn't work I would take the carbs off. Hell I would take them off anyway and give them a good once, maybe twice over.

On another note please please please SEARCH for an answer to your problem before posting a new thread. This was just posted and answered a few hours ago.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...between-the-carbs/page__pid__88054#entry88054

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Sorry I didnt really know what thread I was looking for.

So are those hoses suppose to be tied up or should they be allowed to dump gas? So does that mean I DO have bigger problems? By restricting that hos the ability to dump gas have anything to do with gas collecting in tha air filter compartment, i noticed that the other day too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Careful tapping with a rubber mallet. I use the handle end of a screwdriver. Just a few light raps. If that doesn't work I would take the carbs off. Hell I would take them off anyway and give them a good once, maybe twice over.

On another note please please please SEARCH for an answer to your problem before posting a new thread. This was just posted and answered a few hours ago.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...between-the-carbs/page__pid__88054#entry88054

Nice bike phil, I was just looking at all your pictures.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Steven, with all the new members from Ohio / cleveland area popping up where are you from. Maybe if your close to someone they could give you a hand. I have offered many a help to people and willing to travel if you are close.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Sorry I didnt really know what thread I was looking for.

So are those hoses suppose to be tied up or should they be allowed to dump gas? So does that mean I DO have bigger problems? By restricting that hos the ability to dump gas have anything to do with gas collecting in tha air filter compartment, i noticed that the other day too.

The previous owner probably tied them up to try and stop the fuel from flowing out. They should be able to freely dispense gas if the float bowls/needles are not working properly. No zip ties needed at all. If the fuel can't overflow through them it will go other places where it shouldn't.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
By restricting that hos the ability to dump gas have anything to do with gas collecting in tha air filter compartment, i noticed that the other day too.

Yes, with that hose restricted the gas can back up into the air cleaner and also can get into the cylinders and get into the engine oil. I would check the oil, see if it has gas in it(It would be thin and smell of gas).

You will probably have to take the float bowl off,,if someone tied that hose off, it must have been leaking for a while,,there is a brass tube inside the float bowl that the overflow hose is connected to ,,it is possible it is cracked, causing the leak.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I don't know much a about bikes, should be simple question.

SO, you know the hose that comes from the bottom of the carb that runs to the back of the frame behind the kick stand, that has been folded and zip-tied? what is it and what is its purpose? Reason I ask, I noticed a gas leak at the back of the bike in front of the rear tire. So I started it and gas started squirting out. It was the hose, it was weathered and worn. Im sure I can just cut away the bad and refold and tie. I didnt understand why gas was squirting out, I thought it was a vent hose( but why would vent hose be folded and tied!!)Just wanting to make sure thats my only problem. Looks like an easy fix!

Hooray, I actually get to help someone with my experience! I had fuel flowing from that hose today, myself. It turns out that is an overflow hose from the carburetor. There is a small tank with a float and valve in it, very similar to the float and valve in your toilet tank. If the float or valve get stuck, the tank, or correctly called the float bowl, will overfill. Rather than having that raw fuel run into the engine, the overflow hose dumps the fuel relatively harmlessly on the ground.

Sometimes, as in my case, a simple tap on the side of the float tank with a plastic or rubber mallet will serve to free up the float or the valve and stop the overflow. If the carburetor is dirty or a piece of dirt is stuck in the valve seat, this may require removing the carburetor and cleaning/servicing it.

Tensleep…..nice job!

Philbrewer….if it wasn’t for Steven posting tensleep wouldn’t of been able to help out like he did!

I don’t think one more thread is going to bring the end of the world!

Sometimes the poster has no clue as to what to search for! And then where to look in the search results!

I'm going to do a search for "rubber tube hanging down with gas running out" of it....just to see what I get....

EDIT::::::Back from search::: The forum will not search for words that are under 4 letters...........so "gas" and "out" can't be used....now what?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.