Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. New to this site but already absorbing your wisdom and project ideas.
I will post my progress on a GL500 brat build.
I basically bought 2 bikes for cheap. Will consolidate best parts for 1 build and use second frame for trial and error cuts and ideas.
To date, cut the expendible frame and like the cut location so i may move onto cutting my good frame ASAP. Photos attached. And this is where i begin....I also attached the look i am aiming for with budget conscious ebay tank and seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just purchased a 2002 yamaha yzf r1 mino shock on ebay. Let's see how it fits up once i receive it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both engines run. Brakes seem like they drag so may need caliper rebuild up front. Thanks for the info on shocks..going to check them out. Damn cold in Montreal so not progressing as garage not currently heated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received my mono shock today and results are ok.
Length of shock fits well...as info from this forum led me to believe 2002 yamaha zrf. Photos attached. The gl500 upper mount requires some chopping so contemplating just chopping the whole thing and fabbing new mount to suit...can also take into account proper spacing/thickness as they are different from stock mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Nice project Tino!

PLse take the time to add your location at your profile, and the details of your bike at your signature?

Which exact fuel tank do you have there..with that round space in it (probably for a Honda badge)..? The standard CX tank does not have that, and as far as I know also not the GL. Not so sure about CX Custom?

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yzf shock is ok...was hoping that it was more of a direct fit, as in no cutting of frame and no bushings or spacers needed but that is ok.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Idanny, i will weld additional meat to the rubber bushing mounts so they extend father out and that should handle the front. For the rear, i will weld on a mount so that my tank and seat run aling the same hmorizontal line. Will show some pics as i advance tbe spring. Garage got consumed by 2 cars during winter months here in Montreal Canada.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts