Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the ranks of the owners of Honda Transverse Twin motorcycle.

Recently purchased an 82 GL500 Silverwing Interstate with 38,000 km on it. Here is a pic of it, just the sellers photo, I have yet to take some of my own.

So far I have changed the fork oil, cleaned and repacked the steering head ball bearings, changed final drive oil, adjusted valve clearance, and cam chain tension. Plans for the near future are new front pads, (old ones feel weak, and I suspect they may be glazed on surface), coolant flush/change, brake fluid flush/replacement, and of course an oil and filter change.

On this note I have a couple of questions, while I am a big fan of synthetic oils, I am worried that using it on a 30 year old engine I may develop a leak or worse yet, ruin the wet clutch. Or as long as I use a motorcycle approved oil will I be okay??

The rear suspension (ProLink) is squeaking so I plan to inspect that as well as change the shock oil. Have seen a few posts that deal with the shock but can anyone point me in the direction of a ProLink rebuild/inspection guide or walkthrough??? I want to have all tools and parts I may need on hand so the bike is not out of commission for more than a day or two.

I will welcome any tips that you more experienced folks may have so I can extend the life and ensure the realiabity of my new/old bike.

Later on I plan to replace the exhaust cans, make some highway pegs and consider an electric fan conversion. As time and money allows of course.

Anyways I am really enjoying the plethora of information that is available here.

Hope to have my bike ready for a trip to west coast in August.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Seems to be a few GL's on the prairies.

This is a link to Eurovee's page on prolink servicing.

As for oil, there is a current thread here and many others on this site.

Have a read through the stickied thread at the top of this forum titled "Quick Reference". lots of good info in there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome from Arkansas. Sweet ride!! I use diesel oil in my bikes. Just hang around and you will get plenty of opinions on oil

·
Registered
100 Posts

On this note I have a couple of questions, while I am a big fan of synthetic oils, I am worried that using it on a 30 year old engine I may develop a leak or worse yet, ruin the wet clutch. Or as long as I use a motorcycle approved oil will I be okay??

There were a few comments on oils earlier on in another thread, you may well get a few differing comments. For me, I would go for the closest oil you can get to the original manufacturers recommendations, and if you can get a motorcycle specific, that should cover the clutch issue. A synthetic oil may cause no problems at all and may be beneficial. I've never been persuaded by these arguments. Modern synthetic oils have been developed alongside modern materials and manufacturing technology, principally to extend service intervals. They have not been developed to upgrade 80s technology. They also tend to cost more for no real benefit, as you cannot extend service intervals on anything apart from how often you change the oil.

If you follow the original manufacturers recomendations for fluids and servicing, you should be fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome on board! You came to the right place for reliable information and help with your bike. What the members here don't know about the CX and GL bikes just isn't worth knowing.

About the oil, there probably are more opinions than there are brands of oil. You really can't go wrong by using what Mr. Honda recommends. I haven't used anything but Amsoil synthetic in any of my engines for the last 30 years, including everything from 30cc weed whackers up to Diesel tractors, combines and everything in between. There are very real advantages to a good quality synthetic oil. But when I had a GL650 I used a multi-grade diesel oil in it because of the wet clutch. That seems to be what most members here use. Buy the cheapest brand you can get and change it real often. But that's just my experience. I'm certainly no expert on oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas!!!

Definitely appreciate the ProLink guide link, gonna tackle that right away.

I guess I should have know the oil question would be opening up a hornets nest. Probably will just get some Honda oil, I have no need to pinch pennies in this department.

Really enjoying the mods some people have done, it makes me want to buy a second one for a cafe racer project.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Couve. As to oil, yes you will find many a varied opinion. But one thing sticks out, there is no real reason to spend the extra money on Honda branded oil. Any basic brand oil that does not have additives, i.e. "energy conserving" will be just fine, with reasonable change intervals. Most stick to the 3-4 K miles interval. Even though Honda calls out for closer to 8K, it's just better to do it cheaply and often.

And I'm not convinced the extra money for synthetics is worth it to me. But that will be up to you.

That's a very nice specimen you have there!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Recently purchased an 82 GL500 Silverwing Interstate with 38,000 km on it. Here is a pic of it, just the sellers photo, I have yet to take some of my own.

So far I have changed the fork oil, cleaned and repacked the steering head ball bearings, changed final drive oil, adjusted valve clearance, and cam chain tension. Plans for the near future are new front pads, (old ones feel weak, and I suspect they may be glazed on surface), coolant flush/change, brake fluid flush/replacement, and of course an oil and filter change.

The rear suspension (ProLink) is squeaking so I plan to inspect that as well as change the shock oil. Have seen a few posts that deal with the shock but can anyone point me in the direction of a ProLink rebuild/inspection guide or walkthrough??? I want to have all tools and parts I may need on hand so the bike is not out of commission for more than a day or two.

I will welcome any tips that you more experienced folks may have so I can extend the life and ensure the realiabity of my new/old bike.

Later on I plan to replace the exhaust cans, make some highway pegs and consider an electric fan conversion. As time and money allows of course.

Anyways I am really enjoying the plethora of information that is available here.

Welcome, from Alberta.

Did you get that bike in Saskatchewan? Or did it come from Manitoba? Kinda looks like a former members bike that just

recently sold it. His name here was GLSouris.

Oil topics are plenty if you search, but just go to a Walmart or Canadian Tire and get some Shell Rotella for Diesel

engines, non energy conserving, so the clutch won't slip from those slippery additives and be done with it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Welcome on board! You came to the right place for reliable information and help with your bike. What the members here don't know about the CX and GL bikes just isn't worth knowing.

About the oil, there probably are more opinions than there are brands of oil. You really can't go wrong by using what Mr. Honda recommends. I haven't used anything but Amsoil synthetic in any of my engines for the last 30 years, including everything from 30cc weed whackers up to Diesel tractors, combines and everything in between. There are very real advantages to a good quality synthetic oil. But when I had a GL650 I used a multi-grade diesel oil in it because of the wet clutch. That seems to be what most members here use. Buy the cheapest brand you can get and change it real often. But that's just my experience. I'm certainly no expert on oil.

Surfclod & Doralh

check this site for more information on Synthetic oils and your wet clutch.

http://www.harley-performance.com/wet-clutch.html

It's a Harley site but talks about Amsoil and wet clutches.

Doralh, If you have been using Amsoil for so long and you read this you will find there is no reason for you to NOT use it in your bike. You might as well get all the benefits you have enjoyed for 25 years.

Billrod

·
Registered
397 Posts
Surfclod & Doralh

check this site for more information on Synthetic oils and your wet clutch.

http://www.harley-pe...wet-clutch.html

It's a Harley site but talks about Amsoil and wet clutches.

Doralh, If you have been using Amsoil for so long and you read this you will find there is no reason for you to NOT use it in your bike. You might as well get all the benefits you have enjoyed for 25 years.

Billrod

That's a good article. Thanks for the posting, but I'm now riding CM450A so don't have any wet clutch to worry about.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome and congrats on what looks to be an unmolested Wing. If you're going synthetic a lot of guys run the Rotella T6 I think. I won't buy 'motorcycle' synthetic because they refuse to buy me dinner first...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.