Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding and restoring for 40 years. Today I am picking up a cx500t with 21k miles. Had the stator done. Have had a cx500 and a 500I. I needed another exotic bike. What do I need to look for?

·
Registered
114 Posts
why not try and find a 1980s suzuki RG500 ,

4 cylinder,2 stroke time warp two wheel rocket.

if you have about $10,000/$15,000.

they dont come much more exotic than that.

cheers mark.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The two stroke triples from the 70`s are allways collectable and I`m thinking about getting one. The 750 Kawasaki is a blast,12 sec flat in the quater mile out of the box. These bikes were wicked fast but not the best at everything else, but what a ride.You cant loose money on them and you will ride nothing else like them in your lifetime.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'm not sure how much money you want to spend. I have my bucket list of bikes and I still want an old Bimota and maybe a Confederate. Other neat classics would be a BMW R90S and some of the Ducatis. I have ten turbo bikes including the Honda CXT's and the Kawasaki turbo. I have a Suzuki RG500 which is cool too. The main thing is to get stuff that will be fun and keep your interest and hopefully be affordable. Getting a 40 year old bike that has unobtainable and high dollar parts is not much fun. The Honda turbos are a bit high dollar, but you can still find virtually any part you need. I have a 65 Corvette too and I can buy parts at K-Mart or Auto Zone, this car is easier to buy for than a new one. Price stuff out, have fun and ride 'em.

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, a newbie and messed up my first post. What I meant to say is I bought a turbo yesterday and what things do I need to look for whne I get it home to make sure everthing is right. The guy had a heart attach (after his first and only ride on it, no joke) so it sat for over a year. Sent a video of it running, but rough. Draning out the old gas now. putting in new plugs and planning on changing the oil. Said the stator was done and ran fine when he rode it. New battery, checking the tire pressures. Suggestions and comments? Fairing like new but painted red. 21k miles. I have a service manual.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Wow, a newbie and messed up my first post. What I meant to say is I bought a turbo yesterday and what things do I need to look for whne I get it home to make sure everthing is right. The guy had a heart attach (after his first and only ride on it, no joke) so it sat for over a year. Sent a video of it running, but rough. Draning out the old gas now. putting in new plugs and planning on changing the oil. Said the stator was done and ran fine when he rode it. New battery, checking the tire pressures. Suggestions and comments? Fairing like new but painted red. 21k miles. I have a service manual.
No problem, all of us have made plenty of mistakes on this forum, double posts, wrong wording on questions, etc. We will give you grief for a day and then go on.

Good luck on the new bike. Buy a shop manual or download one for free from various links on this site, or the English or Australian sites. E-Bay always has a few manuals for sale. As you are buying parts you will find much of the stuff you need is not available from your dealer anymore. Use this forum as a great resource as to quality and price of items you need. Technology has come a long way since these bikes were built so a lot of products have improved such as oil, various lubricants, tires, etc. Let the forum give you real world advice on this.

Your bike is by most definitions an antique so plan to replace the fast wearing items. Don't trust old tires. Plan to replace most hoses and cables if they show the slightest bit of wear. Go enjoy and watch the rest of the tips that come in.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats on the CXT purchase! In 1982, you'd have been hard pressed to find a bike more exotic than the CX500TC. You may want to put a nice synthetic oil like the Mobil 1 4T in it,a motorcycle-specific oil, and a new filter. I'd flush the brake lines and be sure the calipers are not frozen, the rear one particularly, as you don't want to cook and warp the rotor. If it is already running as the recent video indicates, the fresh, high octane gas will make a world of difference compared to the year-old gas. Check the condition of the air filter. Are there any service records? It could have 29 year old coolant in it. The coolant that you buy should be free of abrasive silicates. The intake and exhaust valves may have never been adjusted, ever. At 21K miles, they may a little off. An overboost condition upon hard acceleration might indicate a stuck waste gate. If those tires are good, ride it some to knock the cobwebs off it and see if any problems need to be addressed.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,068 Posts
Been riding and restoring for 40 years. Today I am picking up a cx500t with 21k miles. Had the stator done. Have had a cx500 and a 500I. I needed another exotic bike. What do I need to look for?
I think he was saying that he Needed [past tense] another bike, and now that he got the 500 T; what does he need to look for in terms of problem areas...

Do not break the turn signals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.