Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Ive been lurking some on my phone, but now that we have internet at the new house Im posting, you guys have a great forum!

Now onto the story. I was originally going to fix a bike my uncle gave me, 1979 Suzuki GS450s. This changed a few weeks ago when as Im sure most of you have heard, we had a small tornado here in Joplin, Missouri. My dads old cx500 was on our back porch and made it through the storm, didnt even fall over, but blew over a huge tree next to it. I figured this was all a sign that I needed to fix it instead, plus its a bigger bike and I will fit on it better.

Im really into cafe style bikes and will be heading that direction with it, but getting it running is first on the list. My dad has had the bike since 1980, but its a 78. He said sometime in 82-83, he was just driving down the road and it locked up on him and he hasn't messed with it since. He said the sprocket recall was "done" but suspects they just stamped it and didnt really perform the recall. Anyone else have any ideas on what it could be? Once we get a bit more settled into the new rental I will start to really look into it, but im a newbie when it comes to bikes. Im a turbo 4 cylinder car guy normally.

Thanks

Wade

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hi wade.and a warm welcome from spain.

with the age of the bike and the information provided,if it were me,id pull the engine out and see whats behind the rear case....its a nice feeling when you know for a fact that the cam chain,guides etc.are all good.it gives you a starting point to work from.

does the engine turn over at all,with the plugs out,and in gear,can you push the bike ok

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I was originally going to fix a bike my uncle gave me, 1979 Suzuki GS450s. This changed a few weeks ago when as Im sure most of you have heard, we had a small tornado here in Joplin, Missouri. My dads old cx500 was on our back porch and made it through the storm, but blew over a huge tree next to it. Thanks

Wade

Nice to see you made it through all right with sense of humor intact! Small tornado, indeed! Welcome from Illinois! Make sure to add your bike to your signature line- it will help those who have experience with your bike help YOU faster!

Ask questions, have fun!

~MK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.