Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Newbie Airbox question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kthack 
#1 ·
Hey all, new rider here just bought a 1980 CX500D and have a question about the air intake system. I've read tons of threads on here saying "don't remove the factory airbox, it'll decrease performance and you'll have to rejet the carbs, etc" which totally makes sense, but unfortunately the guy I bought it from already did that. The air filters on there appear to be cylinders of open cell foam - not K&N style "pod" filters but also not what came from the factory. I have (I think) confirmed that the carbs are stock for this bike - says VB 28ABRI7 which I'm assuming means Keihin VB28A. The bike does run, but not well. Requires a lot of choke and throttle to start, and then needs to warm up a while. So I'm not sure if the carbs were already rejetted to match the foam air filters or not - they also need a cleaning I think.

Question is, what's my best bet? Try to find a stock airbox somewhere to put back on, or swap to pod filters and rejet the carbs? I do admit I like the look of pod filters, but also want it to run well (which again, it doesn't currently). Background on myself, I was a professional bicycle mechanic for years and have worked on cars some (clutch on a Honda civic is the most in-depth I got) so I am decently mechanically inclined but have no experience with motorcycles specifically. I don't mind a bit of a project, but don't want to start moving toward something that's never going to happen. Any tips on which direction to go from all the experts on here would be much appreciated, looking forward to getting the bike running well.

See less See more
#4 ·
I plan to commute on the bike (in nice weather/when I feel like it, won't be my only source of transportation by any means) and probably some fun rides on the weekends. Won't be doing any racing or anything, longer weekend camping trips in the future are a possibility. However this is my first bike, so I still have to figure out what type of riding is my favorite

#9 ·
Kthack,

I have a complete airbox from an '81 CX500 that I can sell. Comes with the rubber boots to the carbs and a brand new air filter. How about $30 plus shipping? I can post a picture if you like.

Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.