Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbe here saying hi.I got a honda cx500 for $100,from my buddy.he wanted to make a rigid ,but lost instrest.so the frame is all chopped up now.anyone know what frame I could use.if any besides a cx.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Weeeeell

Theoretically anything. It depends on your skills time and money

but if you want to get up and running asap then any frame from a cx or gl

will take the motor.

It wont just 'drop in' to any other bike frame without serious work.

You folks have titles and stuff over there which I dont fully understand so

cant comment to the legalities/snags of buying another frame.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Newbe here saying hi.I got a honda cx500 for $100,from my buddy.he wanted to make a rigid ,but lost instrest.so the frame is all chopped up now.anyone know what frame I could use.if any besides a cx.
i think you will be better off with a cx.but,even then,the frame changed with models.what model is the chopped up frame?

also,depending on your state laws,youl need a frame with a title

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Getting titles for untitled motorcycles is easy in michigan. Where are you located. And if you have a picture of the bike that would help to figure out what it actually is. If it's a cx then you want a cx frame to work off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. I think.

Ha, I kid! FYI, the frame on a CX500 isn't much of anything. It's just a spine with steering and footpegs. If your friend merely cut off the back part, well that just supports the back of the seat, rear fender, and tail light so you could do without that part anyway.

·
Registered
851 Posts

If you're in Central Michigan go to the Mt. Pleasant Motorcycle and Snowmobile salvage yard. He has all the CX frames you'll ever need. I've bought many parts from there, BTW take your own tools. I'd offer $50.00 If you're down State a bit go to Slick's Motorcycle Salvage near Saline I think?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Model idk I guess its a custom.that's what the sidecover says.

I will be going to a local scrap yard called sommas (they got prolly 100 pre 1950 cars)very cool yardhopefully they got a cx or gl frame they quoted me $25 to 125 depending on how complete it is.(if they have one).

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
The cx frame varies a bit between models. The custom frame is different from the standard or deluxe frame.

Is the tank tear drop shaped? A picture would help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If you're in Central Michigan go to the Mt. Pleasant Motorcycle and Snowmobile salvage yard. He has all the CX frames you'll ever need. I've bought many parts from there, BTW take your own tools. I'd offer $50.00 If you're down State a bit go to Slick's Motorcycle Salvage near Saline I think?

Cheers, 50gary

Slicks is in Mason, near Lansing I think. I wish it was in Saline though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts