Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,584 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile so that it will show when someone mouses over your name (see Forum Settings link in my signature).
l I note that you have listed your bike as an '84 CX500C but Honda stopped making the 500cc models for most places after the 1982 model year. Is it possible that yours is an earlier model that was first registered in 1984?
Knowing the correct model year of your bike is important because there were changes from year to year. This is particularly important for the CX500C because all model years up to 1981 have the original Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) but the 1982 model has the later Transistor amplifier Ignition (TI or TAI).
This page may help you figure out what you actually have

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,462 Posts

·
Registered
Honda cx500c
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile so that it will show when someone mouses over your name (see Forum Settings link in my signature).
l I note that you have listed your bike as an '84 CX500C but Honda stopped making the 500cc models for most places after the 1982 model year. Is it possible that yours is an earlier model that was first registered in 1984?
Knowing the correct model year of your bike is important because there were changes from year to year. This is particularly important for the CX500C because all model years up to 1981 have the original Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) but the 1982 model has the later Transistor amplifier Ignition (TI or TAI).
This page may help you figure out what you actually have

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).
About year of production,well it's specificed as "on the Road since 03/'84...I'll try to find the year by serial number,thanks.Is there a place on the bike where the year is listed?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Serial nos of frame and engine will tell you the production year.....sometimes for USA imports theyll also have a federal compliance plate....
E.g. for my 750 Usa model built 10/78.

·
Registered
Honda cx500c
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Serial nos of frame and engine will tell you the production year.....sometimes for USA imports theyll also have a federal compliance plate....
E.g. for my 750 Usa model built 10/78.
Thanks,I allready tryed to find it by SN.
No luck.It's imported from germany 27hp...can you tell me where to find the year by SN?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
According to the page I linked in post #6 of this thread the 27Kw (= 36HP) CX500C was imported to Germany in 1980 and 1982
According to the Honda parts book I have, covering the 1980 'A' models and the 1981 'B' models, both Full Power and 27PS (it's PS not Kw, so a little under 20Kw) versions of both the Standard and Custom CXs were imported into Germany.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts