Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have not had a motorcycle in 24 years (I just turned 60). I happen to be browsing Face Book Marketplace and can upon an ad for a Bike.. IT had the picture below and the only text was 1882 Honda Silverwing Interstate. No spark. $200"

1982-silver-wing-marketplace.jpg

I grabbed my trailer and drove 1 1/2 hours. The owner had a medical issue and could not use it. It has been sitting since 2016. He wanted to get rid of it because it was in a tent and he wanted to lose the tent before the snow falls. The battery was dead but I could see the engine was not locked up and the title was clean. I gave him $200 and put it on the trailer when was very had because the seals in the calipers were seized up. Luckily my trailer has a winch.

I got it home and determined it had oil and topped off the coolant. I sprayed some starter fluid and it fired up. I drained the gas, bought a new battery and it started!. I saw one exhaust pipe was cold. I found a used plug in the trunk and now it runs on both cylinders.

My plan is to clean it up and take ride it this Spring. So far, I bought a new battery, front caliper rebuild kits, and a master cylinder rebuild kit. I am going to do all the maintenance. It has 23K miles.

I see it has a trunk relocation kit. I would like to return it to stock so I can swap out the trunk of the back seat.

Here are some pictures. I have not cleaned it before the pictures. I cleaned the tank today and it is perfect. I did not see a scratch!

Is exhaust rechroming a thing ? What is a ballpark cost?

silverwing-1st-1-1024.jpg

silverwing-1st-2-1024.jpg

silverwing-1st-3-1024.jpg

silverwing-1st-4-1024.jpg

silverwing-1st-5-1024.jpg

silverwing-1st-6-1024.jpg

Mark L

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Great find, and heckuva deal!! Not often to see the fairing dressed to the nines, down to the original Clarion radio. Welcome to the forum, you will find everything you need here.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You got a great deal! You’ll have a good time this winter getting it ready for spring. Enjoy and welcome back to motorcycling!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow, that is a great find. That is only the second set of factory gauges between the speakers I've seen. Enjoy the project.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
14,074 Posts
Nice find.

Welcome to the forum. Please add your bike's model and model year to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Aside from being neglected for who knows how long, your bike is 38 years old and its Previous Owner(s) may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake lines (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

You got a real bargain but that $200 is only the start of what you will have to spend before you can start riding. You have probably spent almost as much for the stuff you have already bought and by the time you add in tires, air filter, brake lines and all the other little stuff you will be lucky not to have tripled your original investment before it is barely roadworthy. And being that old it will probably need some mechanical work in the first year or so. BUT if you stick with it and do the work yourself you will end up with a machine that you understand well enough to deal with most roadside emergencies yourself, not to mention that it is different from what everyone else has and still for a fraction of what a new bike with similar capabilities would cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice find.
You got a real bargain but that $200 is only the start of what you will have to spend before you can start riding. You have probably spent almost as much for the stuff you have already bought and by the time you add in tires, air filter, brake lines and all the other little stuff you will be lucky not to have tripled your original investment before it is barely roadworthy. And being that old it will probably need some mechanical work in the first year or so. BUT if you stick with it and do the work yourself you will end up with a machine that you understand well enough to deal with most roadside emergencies yourself, not to mention that it is different from what everyone else has and still for a fraction of what a new bike with similar capabilities would cost.
Thanks for the welcome. I plan on going thru it before I ride. I am going to put new tires on it, rebuild the carbs, ETC. It already has braided brake lines in the front. This project is right up my alley. My current daily driver Civic with 270 K miles. I bought it non running replaced everything and have done a trip to Florida non stop, Autocross it ETC. When I went to Florida, I had an extra Alternator and Head gasket in my luggage. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,074 Posts
From the pics it looks like the 2 lower lines have been replaced but the upper one is still rubber.

I'm glad to hear that you aren't afraid to take on a project. You wouldn't believe how often people buy a "cheap old bike" and then don't want to get their hands dirty and complain about how much it costs to pay someone to work on it (if they can find someone that will touch something that old).

BTW: Your Civic should be just nicely broken in at that mileage :D My wife had a CR-V that lasted over 650,000 Km(400,000 mi) before it needed transmission repairs that would have cost more than it was worth. She traded it on one with lower mileage and the guy patched it up for his sister in law (who drove it exclusively in town so wouldn't be stranded if it stopped running) and she used it for another 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Congrats, before running it more ,check you cam chain adjustment and valves . One more thing when you have the rear wheel off check the spacing tube between the wheel and the final drive. My 82 had a to short a spacer tube that damaged the final drive bearings. Like your Civic the Gl500i is one of my favorite vehicles to work on,so well laid out. Cheers

·
Registered
685 Posts
You will also want a dental mirror so you can check how much adjustment is left in your cam chain. I like to look at the adjuster with the dental mirror before and after adjustment just to know how much adjustment was needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that is a great find. That is only the second set of factory gauges between the speakers I've seen. Enjoy the project.

Steve
I love the analog clock. It has a second hand and "tics" every second. I hear it as soon as i walk into the garage.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nice score on the bike, especially a "dresser".

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I plan on going thru it before I ride. I am going to put new tires on it, rebuild the carbs, ETC. It already has braided brake lines in the front. This project is right up my alley. My current daily driver Civic with 270 K miles. I bought it non running replaced everything and have done a trip to Florida non stop, Autocross it ETC. When I went to Florida, I had an extra Alternator and Head gasket in my luggage. :)
Welcome aboard Mark! I got a '98 Civic last year with 130,000 on it for $500 and have put another $1,500 into it. Has a strong engine and could last another 100,000 if the rust doesn't get to it first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome aboard Mark! I got a '98 Civic last year with 130,000 on it for $500 and have put another $1,500 into it. Has a strong engine and could last another 100,000 if the rust doesn't get to it first.
Here is a few pictures of the Civic. I know it is not a motorcycle, but this is a new user introduction.

GRM-mag-1999-civic.PNG

It was in Grassrootsmotorsport magazine.

lake-george-2-10-2018.jpg

Ice Racing on Lake George, New York.

1999-civic-gainesville-drag-sign.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Here's something I posted back in 2013 when talking about my now Killed-In-Action, "Dances-With-Trikes" conversion of an 82 GL5001:

Next issue took much more effort to find (and I've been looking for months!!). It is finding a place for getting parts re-chromed (in my case, the front header pipes). There are a number of sources on the web and locally. But for two 29 inch long pipes, I wanted to pay something less than the current value of the whole bike!! I had quotes pushing upwards of $200 a pipe!! However I had both pipes done for only $64 each, delivered right to my door!

The place I chose is ...

Brian Kauffman
Performance Plating, Inc.
913-764-5135

Typical of our 30+ year old mounts, my pipes had a lot of surface rust. It went right down thru the OEM chromed layer and therefore could not be salvage by steel wool and mass quantites of elbow grease. There were only a couple of minor dings on the leading edge. These could not be repaired since these are double wall pipes. However the show quality of the re-chrome job masks those minor defects. Now my entire exhaust system will look like it just came from the factory.

It is very hard to capture the condition both how bad they looked before and how great they look now, but I'll give it a try. I assure you that the new finish is top quality even though the pics don't to it justice! (BTW, the left pipe in the before pic has masking paper half way down):

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello,
I am waiting to register this Bike. While I am waiting I want to add a dual USB plugs for a phone and a tablet. The unit draws about 60 Watts. I want to mount it in the fairing. I removed the right container and have see there is several fuses in there. Their are 2 red wires coming into the fairing, on labeled main and one labeled backup. This fairing has a radio and the optional 4 guages. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the 1982 fairing ?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Hello,
I am waiting to register this Bike.
I need to wire in some usb and cigarette plug.

MikeL. Let me know if you want to get rid of the trunk extender you said you wanted to return to original.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts