Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just thought I would introduce myself...

Back in 1978, my dad bought a brand new CX500 and brought it home in his old dodge truck. I was 7 years old and I remember it like it was yesterday. As the years went on, we rode that bike everywhere. Living in B.C., we did road trips everywhere from Alaska to Texas, and all points in between. Some of my fondest childhood memories are on the back of that bike going all over Western Canada and the US.

Well even though he developed serious back issues over the years and had to stop riding in the late 80's, he kept that bike always hoping one day to be able to get back on and go, but sadly he passed away a couple years back after a lengthly battle from cancer. Well he left the bike to me and I brought it home not long ago and just today decided to set myself to getting it running again. Not quite certain where to begin (being a car guy I am not quite familiar with bike mechanics)I decided to just grab a new battery from the parts store and a couple gallons of premium fuel and see where I was at. Well with the battery charged and installed, I started to pour in the fuel and it didn't take long to see a puddle forming underneath, at which point I realised that my dad left the carbs open and drained so there was no stale fuel left to gum things up after 20+ years of not running. I took that as a good sign. Closed them up and finished with the fuel, turned the key and hit the starter. Cranked over for half a minute but she didn't start. Found the choke, pulled her up and cranked the starter again and was surpised when she tried to sputter to life! Tried a third time and was smiling ear to ear and she sprang to life!

No doubt it is in dire need of a tune up, but I was quite pleased to see after all this time she would just fire right up with a minimum (alright... any) work! Now comes the time to get her ready for the season and get it back out on the road in honour of my father, and hopefully make some great new memories for both myself and my kids...

I will try and post some pics when I get it all cleaned up, but it is a black bike with an orange tank stripe, wrapped in Vetter gear he added (fairing, saddlebags, trunk) cassete deck/radio, air shocks and other odds and ends.

Anyways, I hope to learn a lot here and maybe even have some stuff to contribute as time goes on!

Cheers!

Bob

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have some fond memories there. Fix her up and enjoy what your dad left you. BTW keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Welcome aboard, Bob! Wonderful story there, and all the more reason to bring it back to it's glory, as the 'ode du papa'. Take a minute to edit your signature line with the model and year of your bike, and if you get a pic or two, you can put thumbnails there as well.

It being the 78, did it get the recall done for the cam chain tensioner? You would know it did if you find a triangle shaped three punch dots on the engine, I believe it's where the serial number is on the left side lower.

As posted by Wildman on this forum in the archives from the old board.......

The recall for cam chain guide modification only affected serial number range 2000001-2034366 of the 1978 model.

This info is from the front page of the Honda Service Bulletin CX500 #1 Rev 12/6/78. It was a 7 page (4 sheet) bulletin that identified the units affected, described the defect, explained the owner notification process, and then provided the parts needed/procedure for carrying out the recall. The final page described the dealer reimbursement process and also listed the labor time and parts amount.

How many miles are on the bike? It sounds like your dad was avid about taking care of it, especially making such wonderful trips. Even a high mileage 78 will have many good years in it with some decent maintenance. It started, so you have a good probability of an easy restoration.

Can't wait to hear more!

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
When I read that your father had drained the carbs before storing the bike I figured your post would end with the bike running and you smiling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys!

So yes, the cam chain tensioner has been done. There are 52,xxx well earned miles on the bike. Even though my dad bought it in Canada, it was brought up to him through the U.S. because at the time they were not yet available here for some reason, so the bike is in mph and not kph. I don't know if there were any differences between US and Canadian issued models. The serial number is quite low at 2003880. From what I remember, he was one of the first people in Canada to actually recieve a CX500, but I honestly can't confirm how accurate that statement would be.

I am going to be taking the old girl over to a buddies shop today who is an avid rider and bike mechanic so we are going to start going through everything. I will try and snap a few phone pics of the "before" and post them tonight!

Any specific info you all might have about this bike is greatly appreciated!

P.S. - I open the saddlebags and found his original metalflake purple helment (has CX500 stamped right on it) and riding gloves... I also found a full, genuine CX500 shop manual!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.