Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here, seems to be a lot of good info here so I'll just start off by saying hi.

Now to down business. Always liked the look of this bike, but don't really know much about them. I'm looking at CX650C I'm really considering buying. It needs some cosmetic work but that's not a big deal. I'm just wondering when I go back for a test ride if there is any mechanical issues I need to look for specific to this bike.

Also, are there any specific quirks that the CX series have that I need to be aware of, like the old Yamaha Virgo starter kick back thing.(ya, I had one of them}

I've owned bikes all my adult life, but these bikes seem to be little bit of a different animal, at least at first glance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The big issue to look for is the starter clutch. It sounds like a car that has a starter with a bad bendix spring. The starter won't always engage. It's an engine out procedure. Another item to look for is coolant seeping out from the water pump cover (where the big chrome water pipe on the left goes into at the back of the engine). There is a weep hole under there and if coolant is leaking there, it will need a new water pump seal. Also ask about the battery charging. When the stator goes the battery won't stay charged. Again, that's an engine out procedure.

Now don't let that scare you
The CX650C is one awesome bike!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome to the site chap, loads of good people on here with a mountain of knowledge if you do come a cropper, if in need just ask....Buy the bike...fix it if it needs fixing and have fun.

All the best

MrB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The big issue to look for is the starter clutch. It sounds like a car that has a starter with a bad bendix spring. The starter won't always engage. It's an engine out procedure. Another item to look for is coolant seeping out from the water pump cover (where the big chrome water pipe on the left goes into at the back of the engine). There is a weep hole under there and if coolant is leaking there, it will need a new water pump seal. Also ask about the battery charging. When the stator goes the battery won't stay charged. Again, that's an engine out procedure.

Now don't let that scare you
The CX650C is one awesome bike!

Thanks OdieTurbo.

By "engine out" I take it you mean the engine needs pulled out of the frame, right? How much is involved. I've pulled a virago 920, several atv engines and more truck engines than I care to even think about in my day. Any more difficult than what I mentioned? As far as leaks, I am going to check after my test ride, but when I crawled underneath it I seen no signs of leakage of any kind {yea} but I will check the water pump seal ya mentioned.

As far as the starter, it will show up when trying to start? Any tips on checking this when I go to test ride the bike?

As far as the stator, I should be able to use a meter and check for voltage, around the 13 to 14 volt range with the motor running?

Thanks for the welcome MrB

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Welcome from Cleveland, OH!

You are about to begin an adventure that will last the rest of your life!! These CX's are a blast!

Loads of great help and advice available here . . . all you need to do is ask. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!!!

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more I poke around this site, the more I want to get this thing. Sounds like all sorts of ways to customize the bike. I think I'm going to try and give this thing a test spin Thursday. Any other info will be helpful.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Missourian, Mark. I would advise getting the bike before someone beats you to it. If you are getting 14+ volts at above idle, your stator is good and the rest of the ignition system is almost bulletproof on the 650's.

As far a dropping the engine, a milk crate and the tools you can carry in one hand, plus an hour's time is all you need. And that is the first time. With a little practice, under 20 minutes is possible.

The other item would be the cam chain. My 650 had about 55,000 on it when I got it. The stator was out and when I removed the rear cover it looked like the cam chain would need replacing in 10,000 or so miles, so I just went ahead and did it. The water pump seal can be replaced without taking the engine out, so that isn't a major deal. Or use it as a bargaining point if you see a brown stain below the left carb. All the manuals say the engine must come out for this. But one of the members here has a way to do it with the engine in. And easy too.

Let us know if you get it, and we do like pictures.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Dropping the engine on these is easier than on an old VW if you've ever done that. There is no bottom to the frame, so the engine just gets lowered from the bike, and the rest gets picked up out of the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Blue Fox.

I gonna take a bet the timing chain can be changed with out splitting the case, I hope? Not sure I want to buy something that needs that deep of work just yet.

As far as snapping it up, the guy that has it is going to wait till I have chance to test ride it first before he puts out an add on it. Kinda a cool thing to do I think.

I crawled around pretty good underneath checking the exhaust cross over for holes, didn't see any or any signs of leakage of any kind. Buy I'll check again after I give it a test spin.

Thanks americanclassic, sounds like I might want to keep my old atv jack around then.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Welcome from Georgia. As you can see there is a wealth of information available here. Grab the CX and ride! They are great bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A quick question on the starter clutch. If it needs fixed, does the case need split, or just the engine pulled? I have no problems pulling the engine, juts dont want to buy anything that is going to need the cases split. {I don't need the temptation to do a compete rebuild yet, can't quite afford that just now.}

Also same question about the stator?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
To change the stator and timing chain you need to remove the back cover on the engine. Have to do mine as my stator is dead, but as indicated, if the batteries are charging at 13.5 to 14 V then you know the stator is ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks FADM. That makes me feel a bit better about the stator. The battery in the bike now is bad, which makes me wonder if from sitting or charging problems.

How about the starter clutch, can it be replaced without splitting the cases?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
We don't actually "split the case" as on other bikes. Sort of, but it just entails removing the engine and the rear cover. Then the stator, cam chain, shifter mechanism, water pump seals, and a couple of oil seals are open for replacement. There really aren't any bearings or gears to drop out of place. By the way, when you hear of a triple bypass being done on these bikes, they are referring to replacing the stator, water pump seal and the cam chain. All the parts for this will cost about $275, including seals, gaskets and parts.

The starter clutch can also be serviced when you have the rear cover off. It is a Sprague type that consists of 3 rollers that allow for a one way clutch to turn the flywheel. The rollers and springs are available from Honda for a couple of bucks each. A good battery and a clean and renewed starter may be all that is necessary. There is a trick that some use of cranking a turn or two with the kill switch off, then flip it on. That gets the motor turning before firing pulses try to interfere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We don't actually "split the case" as on other bikes. Sort of, but it just entails removing the engine and the rear cover. Then the stator, cam chain, shifter mechanism, water pump seals, and a couple of oil seals are open for replacement. There really aren't any bearings or gears to drop out of place. By the way, when you hear of a triple bypass being done on these bikes, they are referring to replacing the stator, water pump seal and the cam chain. All the parts for this will cost about $275, including seals, gaskets and parts.
Thanks there Blue Fox. Reading that makes me feel better about giving in to the urge to buy this thing. I don't mind spending a little money or doing a little {or lot} of work. But splitting cases is more than I want to do. You usually need special tools and presses to do it right. uhhhg.

That thing about cranking the engine with the kill switch off, is that a trick if the starter clutch is bad to get by, or a trick to help keep it from going bad?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome MojoMark, Snap it up !! Before I get on a plane, and beat ya to it.....

650 Custom is awesome. Engine out is easy, repairs are easy, One of the great things about the CX. HAve fun, and ask questions along the way.

We love photos too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I aint telling no one where this bike is till after I give 'er a test spin.
The guy hasn't even posted it for sell yet. Its sounding more and more like I'll be taking this thing home with me this weekend. And there will be pictures. It needs some cosmetic TLC, but if the mechanics are solid, not a problem, winter will be here before I know it and I will need something to do.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm not no to ridding, just new to bike, but hopefully not for long.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now I have both a 1980 CX 500 Deluxe and the 1983 CX 650 Custom which I just bought for $500 a couple of weeks ago. The CX 500 had a bad stator, the only problem I could find when I bought it in 2009, its a piece of cake taking the rear case off, you do need to push in on the shifter shaft or the seal will drag it out of its place and then you might get it positioned wrong when you go back together.

On the CX 650 it would not crank well, but after cleaning the insides of the starter and making a better ground internally it starts just fine, don't hook up the battery backwards.

I don't have much more to talk about on my CX 650, its been at work while I have been building a bike shop at home this last weekend.

This forum is absolutely great about getting the right info about any of the CX or GL Hondas. And great people.

·
Registered
816 Posts
MojoMark,

Welcome from another Missourahian! I am on the opposite side near St. Louis.

Sounds like you will be perfect for the next owner of a CX. I have taken the engine out of my 78 (it had a bad rod end bearing) and swapped the center section from the '82 to get the engine running again. Not very complicated.

The good folks here are very helpful, and I can also give you pointers. I also did swap out my stator for another one (that now charges the battery
) The TI (Transistorized Ignition) modules are pretty bullet proof (we older model owners use the Ignitech modules to keep the spark going; not needed on yours). My cam chain is the '82 version that is the self adjusting and had very little wear. The water seals on mine were fine, so I have performed a "sort of" triple bypass for the '78.

By all means, if you get this little filly, take pictures, ask questions, and maybe we owners from the Show-Me state (and anyone else) can find time to meet up and do some riding together.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.