Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I finally made the dive yesterday and bought my first motorcycle. I know little to nothing about motorcycles, never drove one, in fact, last night was my first time even ever sitting on one. I bought a used 1980 Honda CX500 (not custom) And this morning decided to do a little hunting around on the web about the bike. It's engine runs well, it has some cosmetic issues, carburetor problems, no electronics up front (headlight/turn signals gone) no battery (though we jumped it and it runs while on cables)

Anyway, wanted to introduce myself here. I will be the newbie who will most likely ask a lot of questions, as this bike is going to be a little spring/summer project.

Also, while I'm here, are there any good online shops for parts, etc you'd all recommend?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome and congrats on your good taste in bikes.

thanks. I did some searching for message boards earlier this week, signed up at another. but am liking that this board pertains specifically to the bike I have.

I will (eventually) start a logging thread, almost like a blog documenting any progress on the bike.

I found this board while contemplating a potential issue I might have. I am only 5'6" and the saddle height seems pretty high. I'll eventually need to find a way to mod or replace the seat / or lower the shocks/something to help me get some height

off hand, the bike needs a carburetor, i've had it in the garage for 2 days, and there are a few drops of oil also. The engine's got 30k on it, but the previous owner said it runs pretty well (transmission/clutch/acceleration) is good

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Your bike appears to be a deluxe and as such already has the stepped seat, and I presume a 16" rear wheel.

You could maybe get some shorter rear shocks [which I will leave to somebody better qualified than me to advise you on]

My bike is a custom with a similar stepped seat and 16" rear wheel. I am 5"7 and can flatfoot on both sides easily but I think my shocks may be a little shorter than standard. [They appear to be konis]

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome to the board. There is a wealth of information available here on these bikes. Lots of great people willing to help out as well. You probably should add your location and bike info in your profile/signature so that these guys can get you the proper information when you need it.

There is a pinned reference thread here that has an enormous amount of information. I would strongly suggest looking through the topics there and do some reading as needed to get your self aquainted with the bike. The "new bike" topic would be some great reading for you at this point. These old bikes are not hard to work on, but as with anything knowledge is empowerment.

As far as parts, there are several online stores offering parts. Ebay and Craigslist can be utilized for parts as well. Some due diligence is advised before sending your money, though. Keep in mind that not all of the parts are available for these machines, and that can require some creating aquisitioning.

Enjoy the bike!

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Welcome to the group. Since you have no headlight bucket, one thing you will be facing is some wiring/electrical work. The bucket holds a plethora of connections, so making sure it's all up to snuff is a good plan. That Quick Reference section mentioned above has a downloadable factory manual, and I think there is also a section for the wiring diagrams.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, but do try to use the search feature (4 characters or more) to look for things a bit before you post. Not that big of a deal to just ask away though, someone will help. Someone is usually here 24/7, as our membership is worldwide.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the group. Since you have no headlight bucket, one thing you will be facing is some wiring/electrical work. The bucket holds a plethora of connections, so making sure it's all up to snuff is a good plan. That Quick Reference section mentioned above has a downloadable factory manual, and I think there is also a section for the wiring diagrams.

Remember, there are no stupid questions, but do try to use the search feature (4 characters or more) to look for things a bit before you post. Not that big of a deal to just ask away though, someone will help. Someone is usually here 24/7, as our membership is worldwide.

Joel in the Couve

thanks man. yeah, I have the manual. Haven't even gotten to the electrical section yet, though I am pretty decent with electrical work.

I am wondering where exactly I should start with the bike's overhaul...should I begin with the engine, basics, transmission, electrical...?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Welcome in! We all ask questions, so after perusing the other threads if you don't find your answer.... ask away! Just have fun and stay rubber side down! LOL

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Tried to copy and paste from a PDF file for an '81 GL500, but am thinking the color code is the same for CX's.

high beam......dark blue

low beam.......white

ground..........green

left t.s.........orange

right t.s........light blue

run lights.......brown/white

cig. liter........white/green

acc.(horn opt)..battery

acc.(horn opt)..light green

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to copy and paste from a PDF file for an '81 GL500, but am thinking the color code is the same for CX's.

high beam......dark blue

low beam.......white

ground..........green

left t.s.........orange

right t.s........light blue

run lights.......brown/white

cig. liter........white/green

acc.(horn opt)..battery

acc.(horn opt)..light green

Hope this helps.

i'm sure it will. I will hopefully find some solid info and pics on the wiring in there. my guess is half the bulbs don't work, hell, some aren't even on the bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome, congratulations on your first motorcycle. Looks like you have a nice start. Have fun with it.

Like shep said, don't take anything for granted. When I first bought my bike I rode off with loose brake caliper bolts. I thought something was funny feeling so I turned right around and went home but it could have been bad.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome to the group. For a couple reliably good ebayers, look at Georgefix and TASmotorsports. I don't know if he has a set of carbs to sell you, but if you want the absolute best you might want to ask Larry (LRCX) if he has any carbs for sale. If you want an used, original headlight I have one I'd send for the price of shipping.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the group. For a couple reliably good ebayers, look at Georgefix and TASmotorsports. I don't know if he has a set of carbs to sell you, but if you want the absolute best you might want to ask Larry (LRCX) if he has any carbs for sale. If you want an used, original headlight I have one I'd send for the price of shipping.

Thanks.

the dude I bought the bike from had 2 rebuilt (supposedly) carbs in a box. I plan to drop them off at a mechanic to have the checked out before installing them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.