Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, my name is Andy and im new to the motorcycle world. im 23 years old an picking up a old 79 CX500 for the price of an old ipod ($50). The bike has been siting out side for a while not sure how long but it was running before it was parked. reason why the preveus owner quite riding it was because it needed brake work which he couldnt afford at the time so the bike sat and he just lost interest in trying to get her back on the road. some time around this week me and my uncle will pick up the bike and ill snap some pic's to post up for you guys. im very excited to joining this side of motoring, im a big lover of cars so sweatin, bustin knuckles and bitchin about somthing not workin after fixing it is just another day at the rodeo to me. im lookin forward to meeting you all and having some great memorys fixin up my first bike with the help of members here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i am going to say he is from the united states lol no really andy you should put your location and bike type in your signature line it helps us help you....you never no there might be a forum member that lives right around the corner from you

·
Registered
397 Posts
You came to the right place. The people on this forum know more about these bikes than Honda does. And I've found that they just love to be helpful. I'm new to the Twisted Twin world myself. I just bought my '83 GL650 in April. Then with the help of the people here I spent most of the summer making sure that it was ready and safe to ride. So the rule is: If your not sure about something, post a question and I promise you that you'll get quick and accurate help. Oh yes, welcome to the group. By the way, it would be good if you'd put the year and model of your CX in your signature line. Also, as Lucky says, put your location in because there might be somebody just down the road who is a member here and willing to help you when called on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ya sorry about that guys. im from Oregon, Lake Oswego. its really close to downtown Portland. i got the bike in the sig now, well i beleive its a 1979 CX500 for got to ask the year on it or the sub model haha stupid me but i will find out that stuff when i recive the title. I agree with you Doral, the bike will get no neglected atention to repair so i dont break my neck later.
My uncle has an old school 82 Kawasaki 1000 LTD with 4k miles on it and wouldn't want me to start off on such a big bike for starters, plus im not a very big guy. (130lbs)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey if you want to know the year and all that there is a tag on the neck (behind the headlight) that tells you all the info on the bike its also the vin plate.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Lucky
. ill check that out when i pick up the bike. ive got a question actually, now the three punch marks that indecate that the cam chain issue has been fixed from the factory. where would i find those markings?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
if i recall they are on the bottom of the engine next to the engine vin number (same side as the shifter) when i say bottom they are on the side of the engine on the bottom left (sitting on the bike)

and also only half of the 78s were affected so after june of 78 every thing was fine so you should not have those dots due to your bike being a 79

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah cool thanks for clearing that up guys. man no joke you guys are fast to reply! ive never been on a site that had members respond so quickly. all this is making me want to get to work on that bike and figure out what makes it tick. haha

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey man thats what a global forum is all about there is always some one at the wheel here waiting to help

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the owner told me that really all the bike will need to probley run again would be, clean the carbs, drain and clean the fuel tank, new motor oil and filters for both fuel and oil.the tires might need to be replaced but they still might be in testing shape but not freeway speed safe. I know for a fact the brakes are in dire need of replacing for thats the reason he stopped riding the bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Someone is always up. 24-7 service even on holidays.

Start with the engine and running before you fix the other stuff. No reason throwing $100's at everything else before getting it running.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok well get new tires and clean the carbs and then i can say you will love the bike my bike sat out side for 8 yrs and it took me 2 hrs to get it running and then i took it out for a spin at 90 mph on old rotted tires

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that is really awesome to hear Blindstitch. talk about dedication to helping others.
shoot, ive only been a member for 20 min's and i already love this place!

holy cow Lucky damn thats crazy! that would be cool if i got her running that quickly from sitting for a while. the first bike that i would of been riding would of been a 85 honda r80 dirt bike. ( i think thats the name of it). but once my dad sawthat i wasn't messing around and got the bike almost ridable he trashed it cause he didnt want me to kill my self at 15.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yea if your gone a couple of days from here you get withdraws and also if you post alot and then if your gone people ask about were you are at and if everything is ok hell this place is family so you better get used to it.......i have been a member for a 2 yrs now and then the old site went dead and then everyone came to this one so i hope you stick around for a spell and oh by the way welcome to the best site for info on our bikes on the net

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.