Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500c
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Louisville, KY. I recently acquired a 1980 CX500 (not sure if it's a deluxe or custom) from my brother who moved to a new city. He barely rode the bike himself and did little to no maintenance over the time he owned it. I didn't get any information about what went on with the bike before he bought it, so I'm coming in fresh. Attached is a picture of the bike. The seat is off in the picture because I was checking out the air filter. It has a K&N filter that looks to be in good shape, so that gives me a slight clue in terms of the past maintenance of the bike (my brother didn't put it in). I don't know much about engines or mechanics, I do know I can follow detailed instructions if they're provided. I've done a few basic things on my ford ranger (changing oil, air filter, brakes, fuel filter, spark plugs) and at least one in-depth change (engine cover gasket). The ranger forums were helpful in these things, but I was mostly a lurker. I hope to be more engaged with the cx500 forum throughout my journey with this bike. I changed the oil and battery and got the bike started with the help of starter fluid (not sure if that is taboo or not.) The bike ran okay in gears 1-3, then acted weird in 4th. The clutch got stiff and I couldn't engage it so I slowed down to down shift. I changed the oil again and put in a new filter and noticed metal shavings. I've read this could be a symptom of a loose camshaft chain? Looks like I'm in for an engine removal. I have downloaded the FSM. Some questions I have are: While I have the engine off and open, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there? Are there any supplemental manuals that would be helpful in my journey (Chilton's, Haynes, etc.) Is there an in depth guide to engine dropping and camshaft chain replacement (pictures are helpful for me. I am intuitive, but my mechanic vocabulary is severely lacking)? Hope this post reaches some of you. Excited for the journey of acquiring new knowledge, skills, and times on the bike. Let me know if there's any forum etiquette I need to be aware of. Thanks y'all!
-Novice
0427211842.jpg

·
Registered
7,162 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
One important consideration is the colour of the metal shavings. I hope that they weren't copper coloured. When the engine was running how did it sound?
When you visit the motofaction we site look for the page on cam chain inspection using a dental mirror or a borescope.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500c
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@nolimitz thanks for the links. @reclinedrelic from what I remember, the shavings were more silvery, but I could have paid more attention. What are copper shavings a symptom of? As far as sound goes, I don't have much for comparison, but at idle it had a smooth deep rumble. At higher RPMs things sounded a bit strained.

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
Copper or brass color tend to indicate spud bearings. Which are becoming very hard to find.
Did spud sneak in via auto complete? I assume that you mean spun?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts