Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up, thought I would share. Very nice shape, been in a basement since the mid 90s. 13k miles, all original. Tank is clean inside.
I am going to restore it. No mods at all, keeping it close to factory shape as I can. I have other bikes to play with.
First things first, I have tires to swap, and brakes n carbs to rebuild.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
82 Posts
Hi
That's a nice find
They are harder and harder to find in nice shape
good luck

TLD

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
That's a nice find
They are harder and harder to find in nice shape
good luck

TLD
Thanks
I got lucky, it went up on craigslist this morning at 8am and was mine by 10. Cheaper than my other bikes too, and in better shape.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Looks in nice external shape....and non weathered.
Do you know if the motor was turned/started regularly?

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks in nice external shape....and non weathered.
Do you know if the motor was turned/started regularly?
The second owner, who I bought it from, parked it in his basement after buying it and "just about forgot it" until he went to install a new oil tank and the bike was in the way. I haven't cracked open the spark plugs and peeked inside the cylinders with a bore scope yet. It likely hasn't been turned over since '94. I see zero rust on the outside so I am hopeful it is the same on the inside.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,417 Posts
I just picked this up, thought I would share. Very nice shape, been in a basement since the mid 90s. 13k miles, all original. Tank is clean inside.
I am going to restore it. No mods at all, keeping it close to factory shape as I can. I have other bikes to play with.
First things first, I have tires to swap, and brakes n carbs to rebuild.
View attachment 208210
Look at your front engine guard mount. It appears to have been cut away where it should attach to the upper from engine mount.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at your front engine guard mount. It appears to have been cut away where it should attach to the upper from engine mount.
I hadn't noticed that. I will take a closer look.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,291 Posts
BTW: Please add your location and your bikes' models and model years to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And if you haven't already done so download the Factory Shop Manual(s) for your models (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature). Going through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage is highly recommended.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW: Please add your location and your bikes' models and model years to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And if you haven't already done so download the Factory Shop Manual(s) for your models (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature). Going through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage is highly recommended.
Thanks, I'll be going over it with a fine tooth comb soon. I currently have my other bike's engine apart for a major overhaul, once that is back together with fresh rubber everywhere I will get deeper into this one.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The second owner, who I bought it from, parked it in his basement after buying it and "just about forgot it" until he went to install a new oil tank and the bike was in the way. I haven't cracked open the spark plugs and peeked inside the cylinders with a bore scope yet. It likely hasn't been turned over since '94. I see zero rust on the outside so I am hopeful it is the same on the inside.
Inside storage should work in your favour.....as you say
Good luck with its progression.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appears to have been cut away
Almost. I got a chance to look at it today, looks like it is broken rather than cut. I noticed a tiny bit of scratches on it, but none on the exhaust so I am going to chalk it up to a driveway drop. One more thing on the list of welds I need to make. Glad I learned how to tig and have one available.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a chance to weld it back together today, pics attached. Turns out both sides were broken, one crash bar a bit more scraped up than the other. I am planning on grinding them smooth and maybe, some day when I get the equipment together, re-chroming. I added a couple little gusset-welds to the corners to make them stronger than the original.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts