Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 81 gl500 I've been turning into a bit of a "cafe bagger", if you will...and when I initially took off the fairing, I left the wire box and just mounted a new headlight and turn signals to the box... looked like shit, but worked.
Well, got it in my head to tidy up the front end and started getting into the wiring box,kept most of the clips, but started to remove some of the extra bulky wiring.... big mistake. Now the bike will run in all 3 non-off key positions, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the damn front brake light switch going (it was fine before I disconnected things, and is still hooked up at the res). So... I'm panicked. Could someone point me at some good wiring diagrams or forum posts or possible start point of action to get everything back to normal. I didn't get into the frame wiring and didn't cut very much out, but these gremlins are weird...why is the wiring so complicated!??
Would it be simpler to get a cx wiring harness than cut down the one in my gl? is it a hard job to install a new wiring harness?
Or could one of you talented and intelligent people help me with some electrical primers to help me solve this for myself. I'm not a total noob, but I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, either... I just love flying V motors,had a cx inthe Navy, and find myself having to figure all this out on the fly now. Super bummed... I was riding her yesterday...feel really dumb right now. Gonna regroup tomorrow with a fresh head. Maybe y'all will have some helpful knowledge to impart by then. Thanks everyone for your time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the links... I'm knee deep in wiki as we speak.
Any more input would be awesome

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok... got everything working except the front brake switch.Any help?

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
Disconnect the switch wires from the master and with the ignition switch on flash the two terminals together.

If the brake light comes on the fault is in the switch. If it doesn't light it will be a wiring fault.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
going to get a meter today and start chasing wires..I'll check the switch, too, but I think it's ok
more than likely a jumper I disconnected

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YAY!!!!!!!!! totally found the problem, and it was the switch. The screw busted off in the old mc, but I just so happened to have a brand new one, so I replaced the whole thing. Looks like I'll be riding as soon as I can fix the leaky tank and replace the brake pads. Also flipped my tracker bars and they make cool mini clubmans, but I think I'll go with clip ons at the top of the fork tubes with the triple trees dropped a bit. Looks so cool right now, though...I'll take a photo in the AM

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, guys. Any input on tank repair?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts