Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm Nick, live in Key West, FL, USA. I have been reading this forum for awhile, and really have learned a lot, and the different customs are really interesting. My father purchased this CX650c brand new, rode it for approx 6k miles, parked it. When I was a teen, I drove it for about 300 miles or so, then it's sat in dad's garage since, oh, about 2000. Dad sent it to me a few weeks ago, and I'm really lookingforward to riding it again. However, having a few issues. The one that is driving me insane is carb issues. Yes, I have been over and over the carb posts. I used it as a reference while cleaning out the carb three times. The right side is running, bowl is filling fine. Now, I have left side exhaust not getting hot, not firing, no fuel in primary carb bowl. When I start up, and spray fluid in the left side, it fires up, as well, and the exhause gets hot. The really odd thing is when I loosed up the left side float bowl drain while it was running, it actually revved up. I have spark on both sides. If anyone can please shoot some suggestions my way, I would really appreciate it. Maybe it's one of those plain as the nose things, looking forward to replies. Thanks for this awesome place to learn and share, by the way. Nick.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nick, welcome. Please update your profile.

I am also a new member. My 79 CX500 std was in storage for 14 yr. This forum has all the answers you have and the members are very helpful. I am still learning myself.

I will state that that the carbs must be cleaned correctly. I STRONGLY suggest that you get Larry's guide--send him a PM --LRCXed. The book is $25 and well worth. With the bike setting up so long- you must get the cabr rebuild kits ( if you have not done so already)--Again, plenty of info in this forum----there are many places to get them, ebay, TAS, Bike Bandit, georgefix(ebay). JUST make sure you get the correct one for your bike. After the rebuild-need to sync. There are a lot of fine tuning--once rebuilt correctly.

You should also get a Clymers/Haynes manual and also download the complete factory manual. If you go thru the threads, I think Blindstich has the complete factory download in the signature----.

There will be many little things that will pop up, replaced oil rings as they come up;brakes--master cylinder and lines; forks seals, TIRES-esp --get new ones; oil filter and use the correct oil; clean radiator and I would replace thermostat. Also get new air cleaner-ck the carb boots- both the intake and exhaust;plugs and wires, bearings, gas tank issues ( ck inside) and petcock.

Also , there will be various electrical issues--first clean all ground connections; get a new battery and then verify that the charging system is doing its job.

There have been several post lately for things needed to get done. Please read the General and the Technical forums.

JUST take your time and keep work area clean. You will be getting replies from the experts soon--just remember the time difference.

Please remember to go thru the QUICK Reference list at the top of the General and Technical forums.

Sorry, I can not help directly--Been thru this for last 3 mon--finally got mine running-at least.

Danny

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Looks like DannyO covered most of the bases for you.

I would only change his comment with wait to buy the carb kits until you have been in them so you can see what you need. The jets, emulsion tubes, needles, and such are mostly not up to factory spec in the kits. I would keep all the originals I could and clean, Clean, CLEAN them. The gasket would probably help. Also look closely at your accelerator pumps (if you have them, the 650s are different carbs than the 500s I understand) if they are cracked, or have any pin holes replace them. They are not in most kits. You have to order them separately.

Other than that the search function is your friend, and everybody here will be happy to help answer any questions you might have.

Tony

Oh also you will have a lot of us ask you to put the year and exact model of your bike in your profile so it is easy to see without having to read your whole post.

Welcome aboard!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.