Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to bikes and I really like the old bike look. Originally I was looking at the cb's but most where already restored or changed into a cafe racer. So anyway looking over craigslist I finally founds a cx500 I really like the looks of it. It seems to have a decent history of reliability and user enjoyment. My plan it so make it into a cafe type bike, though how far I take it I haven't decided being that priorit one will be to get it running and then tearing it down to get the rust off. So here are some quick pics of the bike.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your location and bike model. Stick around and help us learn more about these bikes. I am not a big modification fan, but that just makes my originals more valuable. To each their own tho.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome! You may wish to make friends with "Phil in Low Gap" North Carolina. Somewhere close to the border at Virginia. He does quite a few mods to bikes, although I'm not sure about Cafe Racers. Keep us all posted with photos of your progress. We're all keenly interested in all transverse twin mods.

Johnny

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is possible that I could get to where I like it and don't want to modify it. I am just excited to get started.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I wouldn't bother modding it yet.I'd give it a good service e.g clean ALL electric contacts and connectors,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=72

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Electrics.htm

change all fluids including changing the fork fluid for 20w fork oil,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bel-...2034959QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Generally clean it up ready for the season.If you bite off too much at this point you may not get the miles in when the weather gets better.

Also you don't have to do anything to these bikes to make them noticeable.You'll be surprised how many conversions you'll get.

I'd just get some Honda decals for the tank and side cans.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...9042263QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
There's a far better provider for decals in Canada, exact repros but I don't have the link to them handy. They'll sell you a complete set all the way down to the tiny warning ones - or - any bits/pieces you want individually.

Keep it stock or, if you want, go wild but I've got a feeling the value of an original is going to start going up as the "barn finds" are getting more rare. Hopefully one of these days mine will be worth more than what I put into it but it's a true motorcycle from back when they built them right. Even in the rattleshack condition I bought it in the Harley people (mechanics and sales people alike) came out when I went in looking for something to replace the stupid straight pipes it had on it. Tons of comments and not a single bad one, many had owned or knew someone that owned a "twisted twin" and all were proud that I was going to restore it. Most comments were on the reliability, handling and the memories. Of course I also got some questions as to whether I wanted to sell it but I had to say no, it's a project at the time being.

Our local Honda dealer sucks, they won't even work on it except for brakes or an oil change, all they want to do is sell me something new. It will be a luxury to me when I get the paint done and park it in their front sales lot while I mill around in the parts department. I can just hear the potential customers asking "what is that?" and they won't know but 32 years old speaks for itself.

Ended up finding a mint H-box on eBay and ordering from the UK to get the exact silencers as the ones for a regular CX are different. Old Okie about 30 miles up the road from me has a few of the variants and has found that they're much easier to ride. He's got a mint GL650I for sale - original as in almost right out of the box. I can't recall which 500 he's working on now but I think he'd about there and going to send the tank & sides off to be repainted by a relative. I can't afford that luxury so I'm going to do it myself with the automotive painting knowledge I have.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Is that the bike that was listed on the Hickory Craigslist up in Morganton? I saw that one and would have gone after it if I'd had the dough!
I'm down in Maiden, and exploring/carolina is in Denver. If you get serious about the cafe mods, you should check out his thread on the customization area of the forum. Personally, I'm just looking forward to getting mine on the road!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those where some helpful links for me to get started! And yes Tim it is the exact one from craigslist in the morganton area. The story I was told is that the guy about a year ago cleaned the carbs and began to drive the bike went up a hill the down a hill and when he went down the bike cut out and then he sold it to the guy I got it from. That guy just didn't have time to mess with it so he turned around and sold it to me. 400.00 and he delivered it. My first priority is to get it running and in good working order. but there is a lot of surface rust that I want to strip down the bike and have everything powder coated. Those are my primary goals. As I do hope to have it going for the riding season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm brand new to bikes and the CX500 as well. I got a really ragged out one with the intent to do a cheap cafe mod but the stock looking bikes are great too. If I ever got one in nice shape I might just keep it stock. this is a great forum for all kinds of info, and I think the CX owners on here are a great bunch. I'm out here in Arizona where it is always riding season, so I can't wait to get mine in top shape and back on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm also new to the "twisted twin" family. I bought my Silverwing a few weeks ago and have hardly ridden it (it's a bit chilly in Wisconsin), but it's amazing how quickly I've become attached to it. I'm planning to add a windshield and backrest/luggage rack. Other than that, I will probably keep it stock. In the one time I rode it (other than the test ride when I bought it), the front brake caliper locked up on me, so I got a crash course in rebuilding that. I've heard the front caliper is a real design flaw on these bikes, but other than that, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
[quote name='Eric Z' date='23 January 2011 - I've heard the front caliper is a real design flaw on these bikes.

[/quote]

I think you may be thinking of Hondas earliest disc brake design with the single piston "swing calliper" which would seize and wear at the pivot point,- but only if not properly maintained. {Clean, lube etc.}

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
OK, here are the people I bought my decals from, nicest bunch of people you'll ever meet: http://www.bdesigns.ca/

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm brand new to bikes and the CX500 as well. I got a really ragged out one with the intent to do a cheap cafe mod but the stock looking bikes are great too. If I ever got one in nice shape I might just keep it stock. this is a great forum for all kinds of info, and I think the CX owners on here are a great bunch. I'm out here in Arizona where it is always riding season, so I can't wait to get mine in top shape and back on the road.

Get it 100% mechanically first then, if you feel so inclined, mod it but there's really no reason to.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm planning to add a windshield and backrest/luggage rack. Other than that, I will probably keep it stock. In the one time I rode it (other than the test ride when I bought it), the front brake caliper locked up on me, so I got a crash course in rebuilding that. I've heard the front caliper is a real design flaw on these bikes, but other than that, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Naw, the brakes are no big deal unless someone let them sit for eons, even then they're an easy rebuild unless the MC has corroded so badly that you can't get it apart in which care there are plenty of alternatives.

Due to the tiny return hole on the factory MCs I went over to Dot-5.1 (not to be confused with the DOT-5 silicone fluid which is not compatible with our systems. It has about half the viscosity of DOT 3 or 4 thus a much quicker apply and release. It's already standard on the high-end pocket rockets and ATVs but you can rarely find it anywhere but a motorcycle shop. It costs more than the common auto parts store stuff but will return far better performance and longevity. I'd still recommend a full bleeding every few years but that's only common sense. Spend a few extra $$ now instead of later.

It's totally compatible with 3 or 4 so it can be mixed. You don't need to flush your system out or change any parts, it can simple be added as required or in my case when the system was apart we just used this. It bled so much easier and sees to be rock solid. I expect this to become a standard on all vehicles in the future.

This what I bought, by no means a full fairing but just enough: http://www.amazon.com/National-Cycle-Windshield-Handlebars-N2567-02/dp/B000WJXGEQ

and I think they still ship for free.

Shipped right out and in perfect shape when I got it. It will be the last thing I mount this spring when the painting is done.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I tore into it some yesterday and to no surprise it needs more work then I hoped. Both insulators from the head to the carb need to be replaced as the rubber has cracks clean through it overflow tank is cracked in half and the exhaust has more rust in and will have to be replaced. Has anyone had one of these motors rebuilt before? I am half tempted to just pull it all apart,but I haven't been able to find the parts yet to get an idea of cost.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
We tend to rebuild our own.Both my CX500s have been rebuilt from spare parts from the crankshafts upwards.

They are a pretty easy engine to work one once you know the tricks and parts can be gotten from contributors

and Ebay pretty easy.

People who have never even worked on a motorcycle engine have been led through even major jobs they didn't think they could do with success by this and other CX/GL forums.There is little or nothing we don't know about these machines

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.