pulled the starter motor off today. Bench test, the slightest, slightest response …didn’t turn but I thought it clicked … blink and you miss it type stuff, but otherwise lifeless. After a minor battle with one of the case screws, ultimate solved with a vice grip! I got it pulled apart and guess what! lots and lots of rust! The commutator was entirely covered in rust, but brushed in great nick. I guess she’s sat still for a long time!
Fully cleaned down with WD, CLR, metho and electrical cleaner (in that order). Hope I didn’t kill anything with the clr… certainly the brush plate is no longer shiny. Not to worry, I have a refurb kit coming next week, incl new brush plate, brushes, o rings etc.
I’ll do the ground mod and hopefully turn her over next weekend!