Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell now and buy one that works!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'Day Team,

Journey to the cafe racer dream has started with the purchase of a $500, little bit rusty, little bit not working (engine seized, brakes disconnected, seems not to engage first gear ...) but more or less complete 1981 edition! Let's just say VERY original condition ....

View attachment 210243 View attachment 210244

I am thinking that rather than going directly to a tear down, the first few steps are to free the engine (this thread looks helpful: Seized engine on cx500 with unknown history: what next), change all the fluids, reconnect brakes etc. Get her going first, then plan the build.

Ultimately aiming for something like PopBang's awesome CX project: Has PopBang Delivered The Best-Looking CX500 Yet?

What is the wisdom of the forum on first steps?

Thanks!
Good morning Sir,
Have a collection of CX500's, and my Holy Grail, my latest acquisition, my ultimate find, CX650 !
( which I won't part with ) !
Anyway, I have more CX500's than one guy should have !
Let's see what we can do about that seized engine first !
( unless you have already got that taken care of !
Let me know please !
My name is Ray,
get back to me on your CX if you want to talk about what progress you have made so far.
My email address is,
[email protected]
I am paralyzed from my shoulders down, so might take me a bit to write back to you, but I will absolutely get back to you !
Looking forward to hearing from you !
Let's get that thing running !

Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good morning Sir,
Have a collection of CX500's, and my Holy Grail, my latest acquisition, my ultimate find, CX650 !
( which I won't part with ) !
Anyway, I have more CX500's than one guy should have !
Let's see what we can do about that seized engine first !
( unless you have already got that taken care of !
Let me know please !
My name is Ray,
get back to me on your CX if you want to talk about what progress you have made so far.
My email address is,
[email protected]
I am paralyzed from my shoulders down, so might take me a bit to write back to you, but I will absolutely get back to you !
Looking forward to hearing from you !
Let's get that thing running !

Ray
Thanks Ray, yep engine turns. I have ignition lights but no start, just a click. Haven’t done any diagnostics yet (I don’t even own a multi meter😳) next job.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,052 Posts
"Just a click" sounds like a bad battery.

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
It does. Hard to verify without a multi meter. And the click likely indicates the switching circuits are fine.

Bad battery. Bad ground. Bad power supply {cable connections}. Faulty starter in order of likelihood.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Hard to verify with a multimeter. Only a proper load test will show bad cells. A simple voltage check can give false assurance.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
That would be a load test...

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
I was helping a friend with a 2000s Yamaha something last month. We started into the case looking for a blocked reduction gear, as he assured me the battery was good. Only later did I think to connect a different battery to test the starter. 😟

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
Probably not as good as one from a battery shop .... or perhaps better. Depends who's doing it.

I have an $800 Kia van starter motor on the shelf in the shed bought when a battery shop load test said the battery was good.

It was the battery.

Still not impressed.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Battery substitution or jumpers from a car are likely the best test here.
Agreed. But the OP should be aware that a really bad battery can block the external source. Might be best to disconnect the existing battery from the system and apply the jumpers to the leads.

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
True. the dead battery 'sinks' the power.

The dead gel battery in the white 500C was doing that when I jumped it from a van battery. It cranked with it in the circuit but it cranked much faster without it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey guys, no battery in her, just jumper leads. Will get a standard batt and multi meter today and try not to electrocute myself.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
It is pretty hard to electrocute yourself with 12V BUT if you aren't careful it is pretty easy to burn yourself by shorting the battery with a tool you are holding. That's why you should always connect the positive side of the battery first and disconnect it last.
The negative connects to ground so if a tool you are using on the negative terminal touches ground no current will flow through it whether the positive is connected or not.
AND if the negative is not connected and the tool you are using on the positive terminal touches ground nothing will happen.
BUT if the negative is connected and the tool you are using on the positive touches ground the battery's full current can flow through it and that can make it get very hot very fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So, hooked her up to a brand new jump start battery. Again, same audible click from around the Regulator/Rectifier when i press the starter button. Crossed the top to the solenoid with a screw driver and got some sparks, then it sort of magnetised and then, well, a little bit of smoke! Poor old screw driver will never be the same again! I'd like to think its as easy as a new solenoid or rectifier ...

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
Try this. Run a jump lead direct to the starter motor positive terminal from the batteries positive terminal.

The bottom end at the starter motor is a little tight. If you get a long bolt, put insulation tape up the shank so that only the bolt head and the end of the bolt are uncovered you can hold this in the jump lead clamp to apply power direct from the battery.

See if it cranks like this.

If so there is an issue on the power side. Solenoid? Dirty connections?

If no joy run a lead from the negative battery terminal to the alloy rear cover of the starter. If it cranks now you have a ground issue.

If in either instance there is no cranking the issue is likely the starter motor itself. Possibly a dirty ground path, internal corrosion or it has run out of carbon bushes.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts