Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Installed some new throttle cables, and now the throttle sticks when I turn the bars to right right about half way round. The cables seem a bit short, they stretch out, and then pull the ends by the carbs down flatter, causing them to bind.

I have them routed as per the factory service manual - I think my problem would go away if I routed them behind the steering stem rather than in front, if that is possible.

Anyone have any tips to resolve this? It feels safer to me to always have the throttle snap closed when you let off, having it stick would be dangerous in my opinion.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
If the cables are the same length as the ones that came off then you have to play with the angle of the grip and the direction of the metal parts at the end. And test often.

I have seen cables go both ways. Around the neck and down the right side.

I even routed a single line down the right side of the bike through the radiator support engine bracket to the carbs. Worked pretty good.

What kind of cables did you put on. OEM or motion pro?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the cables are the same length as the ones that came off then you have to play with the angle of the grip and the direction of the metal parts at the end. And test often.

I have seen cables go both ways. Around the neck and down the right side.

I even routed a single line down the right side of the bike through the radiator support engine bracket to the carbs. Worked pretty good.

What kind of cables did you put on. OEM or motion pro?

They are OEM. came with the little red Honda stickers and everything, say made in japan all over them

I tried playing with the angles of the metal on the end - I'm thinking since my bars set back a bit, that the stock cables just don't have enough length. I'm not even sure my bars are stock for a custom, a member here sent them to me for free, they might be off of a deluxe, they curve back towards the rider a bit. Added a pic (best one I could find at the moment) to illustrate the bars.

I'm thinking of sticking them behind the stem, through the gas tank tunnel. That might give me the length I need.

When you say you routed one through the radiator bracket, was that on a CX? are you meaning the large hole near the top? Seems like you would get a real sharp bend out the other side.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
When you say you routed one through the radiator bracket, was that on a CX? are you meaning the large hole near the top? Seems like you would get a real sharp bend out the other side.

Mike

It was on a cx standard. Maybe hole is the wrong word since there is a hole there.

You know how there is that bracket that holds the front of the engine and holds on to the frame with two bolts. If you follow the underside of the frame there is a space directly under the frame that you can easily stick your had through. That way the cables follow the natural line of the frame right to the carbs.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
If you can't fix it any other way you may have to do what I did.The B push cable is usually the culprit being too short/tight.I filed some meat off the bracket,

As there's no adjuster on this cable it was the only way I could get a bit of play in the B cable.

HTH

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shep - I'll look at that - I was trying to add a little free play to the pull cable, since it seemed tight actually. I thought there was a way to adjust the push cable at the throttle end, but I bet I am thinking of the pull cable.

Stitch - I think I know what you are talking about, makes sense, I'll also give that a look. The fairing complicates some of those angles, due to the bracket, but I might be able to feed them through there.

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed it! I played around and adjusted it till it was right. The pull cable didn't have enough free play so it would get hung up, the solution was simple. I simply screwed in the metal part on the throttle assembly another two turns and voila it's fixed, and turns free at full lock.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, luckily I didn't have to do anything odd.

Mike

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Fixed it! I played around and adjusted it till it was right. The pull cable didn't have enough free play so it would get hung up, the solution was simple. I simply screwed in the metal part on the throttle assembly another two turns and voila it's fixed, and turns free at full lock.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, luckily I didn't have to do anything odd.

Mike

Glad you got it Mike.Routing can be a PITA even without fairing

With mine it was more the After market cables being not as long internally as OEM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.