Goodmorning everyone, hope I am not being a Pain,

OK JUST CHECKED BATTERY EVERYTHING OFF = 12.33 V

NOW FOR THE CONNECTOR TEST READINGS

WHITE TO BLUE = 79.5 --- 77-95

GREEN TO WHITE = 306 --- 387-473

ORANGE TO GREEN = 105 --- 95-116

ORANGE/RED TO GREEN = 89 --- 81-99

LIGHTBLUE/RED TO GREEN = 87 ---- 81-98

READINGS AFTER THE 3 LINES IS THE GUIDELINES FROM THE THREAD YOU GUYS GAVE ME, THE ONE READING THAT LOOKED REAL OFF WAS THE GREEN TO WHITE, @ 306

HOWEVER WITH BIKE CRANKING MY BATTERY STILL DROPPING TO AROUND 9.5 V

SO NOW THAT I HAVE GOOD READING MAYBE WE CAN TOGETHER TRY TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE

i ALSO NOTICED LAST NIGHT WHILE THE BIKE WAS IDLEING THAT THERE MORE THEN USUAL CONDENSATION DRIPPING FROM THE EXHUAST SO I WENT AND PUT SOME DRY GAS IN AND PUT 2 GALLONS OF 92 OCTANE IN I WOULD SUPPOSE IF WATER IN FUEL COULD CAUSE THE CUTTING OUT OR SPUTTERING AS SOME WOULD SAY THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE THANK YOU

Sorry about the caps on lock my bad I promise I am not being loud or yelling lol thanks for any info guys

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok and as of fixing the multi meter the charging system is putting out between 13,99 to 14.00 volts think I am ok maybe now i added the b-12 additive and put 2 gallons of 92 octane in the tank to displace the moisture lets see what happens

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK been idling for a bit and took it for a ride still breaking up or bogging down not as bad when I got back I let the bike idle and then put the meter on the battery again and its now reading 12.33 volts intead of 13.99 to 14volts Hmm does this been the battery is charged thanks for any advice

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I'm not an electrics kind of guy, but just wanted to say that the 92 octane won't do you any good really. B12 is fine for an occasion additive, but if you do have moisture in the gas, you are better off completely draining the tank and carbs and getting everything bone dry, then start totally fresh with plain old 87 octane and maybe some B12 or the like every other tank or three.

Get an inline filter if you don't have one, and the carbs may actually need to be gone through thoroughly and balanced.

Wish I could help on the electrics, sorry. Hope others here will pass on more info for ya.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
OK been idling for a bit and took it for a ride still breaking up or bogging down not as bad when I got back I let the bike idle and then put the meter on the battery again and its now reading 12.33 volts intead of 13.99 to 14volts Hmm does this been the battery is charged thanks for any advice

EDIT: Seems I was slow, typing my answer! Anyway:

Are you sure the battery is healthy? You told us before that the battery goes down to < 10 V when cranking. Doesn´t seem right. Also the low reading after the ride indicates something ought to be wrong with it. Are all connectors (stator-to-reg/rec) clean and safe?

I´ve got a feeling your battery may be bad. Old, maybe??

But that wouldn´t explain the stuttering. That´s something else!

Try and gap the plugs a little narrower. See if it helps!

I had a HT coil that used to act up, once warm (after ~10 mls, or so). I believed, for a long time, that it was the stator, being on its way out, but it was the coil. The bike ran like a scalded troll, after it got a "new" coil.

Sture

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ok battery test at 5k rose from 12.33 to 13.55v did not wanna hold it @ 5k to long it may piss off the neighbors hahaha
Jay,in my opinion,thats not high enough.at 2500 rpm you should get a touch over 14 volts dc.

did you really clean the connectors as i mentioned in one of your other threads.including the green earth under the seat.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bandit, i bought the wire and plug spray stuff from crc to clean all the connectors i did notice while checking the plug leads with the meter probes 1 or 2 was alittle loose in the connector i may just cut off the plugs and use crimp connectors for a more secure fit this morning the charging was going to just about 14v yes indeed the battery could be going out on me or one of the wires is funky this seems to be an intermittent problem maybe ? however the plugs are gapped at 0.7mm right now i will bring them in to 0.6 and see if that helps considering i pulled and cleaned them up. they had i little ick on them so i will regap then install I asked the local auto parts store if they can check the battery but to no luck they cant do anything lower then 500 cold cranking amps..

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also thought considering they look original that that coils or a coil maybe on its way out also any way to check them considering i am getting pretty good with the ,ulti meter lol thanks everyone.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok where can i find the crankcase breather filter i followed a hose from the airbox but that looks like it goes to a hose on iether side of the heads somewhere. Well i might say to get into these bikes is to know them

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok just another thought that popped into my head while test riding bike last night i noticed a considerable drop in the brightness off my headlight when applying the brake i could see this change as the headlights dimmed when hitting the brakes should this be happening ?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
LOL... it's hidden inside the airbox under the main air filter.

I didn't know one was there myself and would never have... until I removed the airbox to get a boot back on and give it a good cleaning. It's under the flat square plate in the bottom of the box. Mine was a gummy mix of foam residue and dirty sludge.

I replaced the filter with a piece of filter material I cut out.

Making sure the "breathing" systems are all working is very important on Cxs... A leaking air boot will instantly de tune your motor. the vac line going to the left side of the petcock is critical. A clogged exhaust is one of the problems that can cause stumbling as well.

The other biggie (at least for me) is the grounding of electrical circuits.... no ground, no circuit, bike no workee

EDIT: as bandit mentioned.... Check that green wire under the seat. It should measure zero ohms to "Earth" or "ground" . To check it, disconnect it and measure resistance from the end of the green wire to the frame. Some dielectric compound when re doing or reconnecting is highly advisable. I use "Truck lite" brand.

Also the black ground wire from the battery connect to the frame in a rather exposed place in front of the rear tire... Mine was OK, but needed some TLC as it was looking pretty bad.

For Me... The Bad breathing caused stumbling at speed and on acceleration. The bad grounding caused generally bad running all around and then no running... a charging failure and resulting dead battery which left me on the side of the road.

I know it can be confusing, but there are a few simple things that can cause "less simple" things to look like they are going bad. I refuse to succumb to "Statoritis" or "Coiliosis" until I've eliminated other possibilities

I like your determination Lil Buffalo... It WILL pay off in a great ride.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ok just another thought that popped into my head while test riding bike last night i noticed a considerable drop in the brightness off my headlight when applying the brake i could see this change as the headlights dimmed when hitting the brakes should this be happening ?

Absolutley not.... you have a low voltage battery. This could be from bad battery maint, an old battery, charging system failure as in bad rectifier/ regulator, bad ground(s) or a few other reasons as have been mentioned.

If you can get hold of a hygrometer, make sure the battery is "good" before tearing your hair or stator out...
I'm pretty sure any auto parts store will do this for you.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow i might just buy a new battery considering not knowing the age the ground under seat is cleaned and nice and tight if there is other grounds on a 1980 cx500 let me know please, also i did as Novalox said and it is pretty gooped up in there under, the metal plate in the filter box looks to be a little of everything, so now its off to figure out getting the air box out and cleaned i will also replace air filter what would be good to use for the little filter would any fylter material work on this again thanks. yes i am ver determined after all winter sitting arounsd i wanna ride but to have a safe and good running bike is the key....

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
wow i might just buy a new battery considering not knowing the age the ground under seat is cleaned and nice and tight if there is other grounds on a 1980 cx500 let me know please, also i did as Novalox said and it is pretty gooped up in there under, the metal plate in the filter box looks to be a little of everything, so now its off to figure out getting the air box out and cleaned i will also replace air filter what would be good to use for the little filter would any fylter material work on this again thanks. yes i am ver determined after all winter sitting arounsd i wanna ride but to have a safe and good running bike is the key....
wow,do not start trying to pull out your air box.its an engine out job.take the righthand cover off.remove your airfilter,give it a good clean with commpressed air.a pipe goes from the bottom of your airbox down to nowhere,it has a plug on the bottom[well,it shoul.lol]remove the plug and pour some hot soapy water down that pipe,make sure its clean.

a new battery is a great idea.follow the instructions when you get it

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Jays new info

Latest news flash haha ,Ok so as we been discussing many checks have been made today, another test of the charging system shows that when idling volts are at high 12 low 13 volts when reving at 5k we rise up to 14 to 14.20 so that seems to be working good. after recleaning again all the contacts, the air box and filter drian hoses are clean and ick free. i do have a gassy smell at the exhuast ends she seems to idle at what i say is fine still studdering while riding under load. the moisture out of exhuast is getting better but that stumble or studdering when ecceleration hmmmm my spark tester does not fit the bike wires so i need to find away to test these coils and see if they are up to par. well there ya have it.. time to pack it in for the day i have work tonight off the complete day tomorrow so ya know where i will be enjoy everyone... also when i removed battery the levels are all different as i can see it from the side of the battery i may just buy a new one for 25 bucks and call that part done considering i do get loss of voltage to headlights when hitting the brakes noticed that last night thanks again everyone

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.