Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'll be testing my old ( but rewound @2 years ago,-Ricks) stator, today. ...BUT, it looks like toast,- I found hot, melted wires ( -- the plastic block connector of the 3 yellow, (of the stator), where they connect into the 3 yellow from the rectifier)-- the platic block connector was melted,- the metal tabs on the stator side HOT.

I'll test it out today to confirm,- I assume my stator has shorted out. I installed it,- maybe rubbed insulation has caused a short?

Anybody hear (anything good/bad) about NICHE replacement stators??? Item number: 220734620203 on the ebay? I know I've heard bad things about the Electrosport stators.

Ideas? Advice? Thanks guys. Sam

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
In all honesty, what I've got from them is top notch. EMGO parts and their brake pads /shoes were of supreme quality.

I would trust them 100% but let's have a link. No - I won't be bidding against you and if they've got them then they have a decent stock.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Looked everywhere, no results. Sent them a letter.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The listing has a link to pdf installation instructions, and that link points to the Electrosport web site. That doesn't prove it's an Electrosport stator, but odds are it is.

The buy-it-now price of $79.95 is very low for a stator. Maybe it's a really good deal, or maybe the seller has had problems and is trying to dump them.

The stator connector has a long history of problems. It's very likely there is nothing wrong with your stator. Is the battery being charged?

The connector overheating problems are due to a poor connection at the connector itself. A higher-than-normal resistance at the contacts or where the wires attach to the terminals will cause this.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Out at Lynn's Sunday, new EMGO pads, JDA hose and the (now) stock MC - I'm going to have to learn all over again but I'll bet it stops on a dime due to the feel of the setup. Nothing like new brake pads and a SS hose.

Pads aren't broken in yet but the difference in feel is incredible from what I had.

Not to mention the rears, also EMGO slotted which I believe he tested out and no squeaks and also stopped great. I hate squeaking brakes, also hate them when they're sub-standard which is why I run Raybestos on my cars.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Has anyone tried this yet? Is it an Electrosport? Does Electrosport sell new stators or just rebuilds? Description on FleaBay says it's a brand new stator. I've asked sell for more info, lets see what they say.

I think this may be a brand new Chinese stator. There are many very cheap brand new parts coming out of China for old bikes.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Got an answer, at least they're quick:

"As with most parts, these units are made in china, user guide provides accurate detail for this stator."

I guess that means it's a Electrosport made in China.

So, anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I'll be testing my old ( but rewound @2 years ago,-Ricks) stator, today. ...BUT, it looks like toast,- I found hot, melted wires ( -- the plastic block connector of the 3 yellow, (of the stator), where they connect into the 3 yellow from the rectifier)-- the platic block connector was melted,- the metal tabs on the stator side HOT.

I'll test it out today to confirm,- I assume my stator has shorted out. I installed it,- maybe rubbed insulation has caused a short?

Anybody hear (anything good/bad) about NICHE replacement stators??? Item number: 220734620203 on the ebay? I know I've heard bad things about the Electrosport stators.

Ideas? Advice? Thanks guys. Sam

Those stators are not from Niche cycle Supply, I don't know who is making them or selling them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Got my new stator from RM Stator in Quebec Canada. Originally I thought they would just rewind my old one. They sent me a new one. Absolutely wonderful and quick to work with.

Here's a pic of the old and new....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How much $$$ ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I finally gave up rewinding/replacing stators and mounted a small alternator on the swingarm. It's run by a v-belt around the brakedrum, has an internal regulator. Handlebar switch for controling field power, as it uses more than it generates below about 25 mph. Seems to work fine, lots of amps for heated handgrips. Been using it for about two years. Direction of rotation makes no difference. Small sized alternator fits easier. The belt seems to sort of self-adjust as the drum is slightly tapered. Also removed helmet lock for more clearance.

Also converted to points and coil ignition, but that is a bit more work. I'd recommend going to an aftermarket ignition system still using signal coils under the small cover. My points are driven by a 17mm socket on the crankshaft bolt, wastes a spark on the exhaust stroke. Used a points set and advance unit off and old ct90. Added second cylinder's set of points on the plate 80 degrees from the first. Had to flip over the advance unit's weights as it rotated in the wrong direction, and remount springs. There's barely clearance for this setup below the radiator. I even put a dent in the front fender for more clearance. I know; it's crazy. Maybe someday I'll go back to electronic ignition.

·
Registered
625 Posts
you tube review of one example:

Not very promising based on this review.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
For Canada, RMStator sells a G8 that is a lot cheaper and since it comes from Quebec the shipping is OK
Paul RM has gone to China for it's stators.......I put one in my GL650 last spring and was not thrilled with the out put wires(3 yellows)..had to cut them off and solder the old OEM ones back on.

The wires supplied had a cheap vinyl like that insulation that rolled back when threading through the grommet.

After about 5,000 k"s it is still working good,but I was a bit disappointed because of the wires and where it was manufactured..I had ordered from them because of your past experience with them and that they were sort of Canadian :rolleyes:

Tom

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
WOW, guess I shouldnt be surprised to hear that they outsourced to China :( When I got mine the yellow wires were good quality and rugged (almost seemed to be teflon type wire) and the coils were well wound and properly epoxied. Oh well, guess nothing good lasts forever lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.